Problems replacing drive after power failure

Status
Not open for further replies.

josh

Cadet
Hi I'm currently using FreeNAS-8.0.1-RC1-amd64 (7508) and having the following problem: After Freenas found errors on one of my newly bought set of 3Tb WD drives after a power failure, I ran over a WD correction tool to repair the 8 faulty blocks.
Now I can not replace the drive and resilver it in the command line. It seems the UUID is preventing me from doing so. How can I trick Freenas into thinking I replaced the faulty drive by a completeky new drive, thus skipping UUID check?

Help highly appreciated!
Thanks

jfr2006

Contributor
If freenas recognize the drive has being the old one, wouldn't a simple scrub rebuild all your data?

josh

Cadet
If freenas recognize the drive has being the old one, wouldn't a simple scrub rebuild all your data?

As far as I understand, Scrubbing is more a maintenance rather than e rebuilding. To make sure all bad blocks were recognised i have overwritten the disk with zeros, now there is no parity data on it anymore.

ada0p2 is currently offline (the faulty drive)
What shall I do?

ProtoSD

MVP
Scrubbing is more a maintenance rather than e rebuilding.
Scrubbing is basically the same as resilvering and it should rebuild your disk.
...i have overwritten the disk with zeros, now there is no parity data on it anymore.
That's perfect, it should appear as a new disk.
You should be able to do a replace from the GUI, I like the command line better. From the command line you would do a 'zpool replace ada0' or if you do a 'zpool status -v' change the 'ada0' to whatever is being reported as your failed drive. This will trigger a 'resilver' and may take awhile depending on how much data you have. You can check the status while it's resilver with the 'zpool status -v' command again.

josh

Cadet
Scrubbing is basically the same as resilvering and it should rebuild your disk.

That's perfect, it should appear as a new disk.
You should be able to do a replace from the GUI, I like the command line better.
Yes, it should, but it doesn't. The same with command line. Neither works

From the command line you would do a 'zpool replace ada0' or if you do a 'zpool status -v' change the 'ada0' to whatever is being reported as your failed drive. This will trigger a 'resilver' and may take awhile depending on how much data you have. You can check the status while it's resilver with the 'zpool status -v' command again.

That's exactly what I did. System tells me there is no ada0 in my Volume RAID1.
Used long ID instead of ada0, then it tells me I should use the -f option because ada0 is part of a volume, doing so results in error telling me I had to manually interfere.

I made a scrub, the system found errors and correctet them, but now my volume has no degraded status all is healthy. BIG PROBLEM: The Volume size has shrinked from 11.7G to 9.7G exactly the sice of degraded Volume!
I'm using 6 3TB Drives in RAIDZ2.
Any suggestions on how to get back 3 Gig of space?

Status
Not open for further replies.