Gut feeling something is wrong

Colit

Dabbler
Then you don't need to use the script!
Did you delete the snapshots?

As a side note, we could make that SSH connenction a bit safer using keys instead of passwords. Interested?
There are no snapshots, I deleted those.
I also don't normally keep the SSH service running, it's only turned on for things like this.

Colit

Dabbler
Silly question - why not just delete the pool and resetup the whole thing. Its got no data on it that you are interested in does it?
1. You may have to move the system dataset to the boot-pool (on a temp basis)
2. You may have to turn off iscsi - as that MIGHT lock the pool

This way - zero fragmentation, no smapshots, no data - and you were going to have to re-create the zvol anyway

the zfs-rebalance script will not help - as it doesn't touch zvols

Not a silly question - I was wondering if there was any other way than to delete the pool and start again. It's all part of a learning process!

What do you mean by "the system dataset"? and how would I move it if I find it's on this pool?

Colit

Dabbler
Question - would "Auto TRIM" have any bearing upon keeping the pool defragmented in future?

(I'm not talking about THIS pool as i'm going to recreate it as a thick pool, I'm talking about whether TrueNAS has "adopted" the "TRIM" term and used it to be a generic garbage collection facility for all disks regardless of whether they're spinning rust or SSDs?)

NugentS

MVP
Not a silly question - I was wondering if there was any other way than to delete the pool and start again. It's all part of a learning process!

What do you mean by "the system dataset"? and how would I move it if I find it's on this pool?
I don't have a core box any longer - so I am not sure where the menu option is.

NugentS

MVP
As to Trim. I run a trim task on every pool, every so often. I have no idea if it has any effect - but I figure it can't harm