CIFS on MAC only, something is wrong

TidalWave

Explorer
Hey guys,

We have a few of these older FreeNAS servers, some 9.3 some 11.1u.

And everything was working fine. Until we moved from one office to another.

We moved to another office and added a networking switch. Specifically a Dell S60. I think tagged (trunked) a bonded LACP 20Gig link between the 1st floor switch Dell S4810 10 gig switch which has all the NAS servers attached to it. To the 2nd floor S60 switch.

We then hooked up 4 Mac computers and 10 Windows comptuers. Everything remained the same on the NAS servers. Their location on the first floor was the same, the switch settings on the 1st floor S4810 also remained the same, expect for the added LACP link which connects to the upstairs Dell S60 switch.

So onto my problem. The windows computers connect to the dataset just fine over SMB. But the 4 MAC computers are having a huge issue connecting over SMB. Remember these same 4 mac computers worked fine from the other office, they were previously connected via 1 gig links down to the first floor to an S25 Dell switch which was connected to the S4810 by only a 1 gig link.

So basically i'm wondering if having LACP between switches can somehow cause the MAC computer to stop connecting over SMB, because the windows computers connect fine. Also on the MAC side I can connect by using CIFS instead of SMB, but the connection speed is capped at 60MBps instead of the full 100MBps.

Do you guys have any ideas?

I tested with my laptop too, which has 10.13.6 OS on it and it still wouldn't connect to the FreeNAS servers over SMB.

The dataset is massive, and we don't really want to add AFP to it because it will get complicated managing files and folders over a single dataset that uses both AFP and SMB. Any ideas?

I guess we could plug those mac computers back into their old office and see if they can connect over SMB. But the IT guy there said they were connected over SMB fine and I see history logs to prove it. So my question is how can a LACP bond between two switches cause SMB to stop working over MAC but still work over a windows?

-Tidal

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-03-22 at 12.57.31 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-03-22 at 12.57.31 PM.png
    115 KB · Views: 124