Guide: How to Build FreeNAS (Part 2: Install and Build FreeNAS)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ProtoSD

MVP
You probably need to download BRANCH instead of TRUNK. Its been awhile since I've done any builds, but that's what I'd check.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
It asks for a password for 'root' when I try to svn to that location.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Why did the repository change?

joeschmuck

Old Man
Well at first glance I'd say you are not pulling from the correct source. What is your source? Using /branches/8.3 ?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Bah! I just figured out what I was doing wrong while writing out my reply. I had https and not http since that's what protosd used. Copy and paste screwed me :(

After I went to the correct location I got "Checked out revision 12914". So yeah, all is well now.

I just have to wonder why the repository moved. Its really misleading to see that the first post still has the wrong site.

The Apprentice

Dabbler
Hi,

Thank you for this great tutorial..
Once FreeNAS has been built on FreeBSD, can it alsao be run From a FreeBSD jail?

Many thanks
Fred

joeschmuck

Old Man
Hi,

Thank you for this great tutorial..
Once FreeNAS has been built on FreeBSD, can it alsao be run From a FreeBSD jail?

Many thanks
Fred
If you wanted to run FreeNAS from within FreeBSD 9.x, just install VirtualBox for FreeBSD and then you could run from within that. I have not done it myself but I don't see why it wouldn't work.

I'm still on vacation so once I return I will take a look at updating this thread to ensure it still works as written.

The Apprentice

Dabbler
If you wanted to run FreeNAS from within FreeBSD 9.x, just install VirtualBox for FreeBSD and then you could run from within that. I have not done it myself but I don't see why it wouldn't work.

I'm still on vacation so once I return I will take a look at updating this thread to ensure it still works as written.

cool thank you for the advise.
just one more question..
Can I create something simillare to freenas myself on freebsd?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
You sure can. FreeNAS at the most basic level is only FreeBSD with a lot of unnecessary services for a file server stripped out, some scripts and a pretty UI added. The whole intent of FreeNAS is to take the very complex FreeBSD and "dumb it down" enough to allow standard users that have never used FreeBSD to use its amazing feature set without spending years getting familiar with FreeBSD.

The Apprentice

Dabbler
You sure can. FreeNAS at the most basic level is only FreeBSD with a lot of unnecessary services for a file server stripped out, some scripts and a pretty UI added. The whole intent of FreeNAS is to take the very complex FreeBSD and "dumb it down" enough to allow standard users that have never used FreeBSD to use its amazing feature set without spending years getting familiar with FreeBSD.

Hi cyberjock,

What would you use?
I tough of having samba and maybe own cloud together.
what alternative to the freenas grapic management

cyberjock

Inactive Account
That's totally your call bro. I use FreeNAS because I don't want to do the work myself.

Jeroen Begyn

Cadet
Hi,

I am trying to build a FreeNAS version using the instructions specified here.
But when i try to run
Code:
sudo env GIT_REPO=${HOME}/trueos GIT_PORTS_REPO=${HOME}/ports sh build/do_build.sh
i keep getting an error.

Error:
Code:
Cloning into 'src'...
ssh: Could not resolve hostname gitserver: hostname nor servname provided, or not known
fatal: Could not read from remote repository.

Please make sure you have the correct access rights
and the repository exists.

Does anyone have a solution to this?

crom

Cadet
"
However it is recommended that you maintain a local git mirror to speed up further builds:

% git clone git://github.com/freenas/ports.git ${HOME}/ports
% git clone git://github.com/trueos/trueos.git ${HOME}/trueos

To build using those local mirrors run:

% sudo env GIT_REPO=${HOME}/trueos GIT_PORTS_REPO=${HOME}/ports sh build/do_build.sh
"

Did you make local mirrors of ports and trueos? If not, just use build/do_build.sh.

-----------

Two small questions:
1) What does the -J option do? If I omit it, will there be no jails functionality in the installation?
2) Does the default build create a "release" version with optimizations and without debugging symbols or is there something that I must set for this?

Duci

Cadet
I am totally new at this stuff, so I'm sorry if I am asking something stupid. I have followed your guide on setting up a freeBSD machine, and am now following this Howto, but I keep getting stuck at step 3. It says:

root@Freenas-Dev:/usr/local/freenas/trunk # sh build/do_build.sh
Use git set!
+ git clone -b freenas-9-stable https://github.com/trueos/trueos.git --depth 1 src
git: not found

I am working with FreeBSD 8.4, and am running it on a VM with 1GB RAM, 2 processors, a 40GB HDD.

I have no idea how I can solve this. Can anybody please help?

crom

Cadet
If I want to try some changes in the kernel source, does it work to do a

do_build -JB

*change the source files*

do_build -J

?

Dusan

Guru
The -J option doesn't do anything, somebody just forgot to remove it from the usage information.
I think you may want to do do_build -c to checkout the sources, do your change and then run do_build to build it.

Status
Not open for further replies.