GUI update from 9.1 to 9.2.1.5 - keeps rebooting

Status
Not open for further replies.

tehmole

Dabbler
Hi everyone,

some what new to using FreeNas, love the product and community. Hardware specs:
AMD 850 | 8GB DDR3 | 8TB HD | FreeNas is running off an 8GB USB drive.

it was running normally on 9.1.1 and wanted to update it to the latest version. The install went well without any errors I can and started the reboot - then i notice it stops at one point:

Code:
no core dumps found.
/etc/rc: WARNING: failed precmd routine for vmware_guestd

and reboots.

I tried looking for the same warning in the forum, and didn't get much results beside trying to do a fresh install on a new usb drive and copy the config's over. I have a windows box - which I cannot read the files off the USB drive. I tried setting up a Linux VM, I can't seem to mount the USB drive onto it. I know it was a mistake not to backup my conf before performing the upgrade, a noob mistake. But moving forward, is there anything you guru's can help? I really don't want to loss all my configs or files. Please help.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
You can try to read the partition from a FreeBSD or FreeNAS installation on another machine. Other than that, your option is to redo your setup from scratch. You can import your pool, but your settings and jails will have to be setup from scratch.

tehmole

Dabbler
i tried reading it from FreeBSD/Debian/Ubuntu and other methods for windows - seems like it can't mount. I've tried to look for tuts on importing the pool - can't find any - would you have a link to one Cyberjock? i don't mind redoing my setting and jails ~ thank you for the help

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Uh.. there is no FreeBSD/Debian/Ubuntu... FreeBSD is Unix... Debian and Ubuntu are Linux. They aren't related at all. You can only use OSes that support UFS, and that is FreeBSD and FreeNAS.

The manual has step-by-step instructions for importing your pool... see doc.freenas.org.

tehmole

Dabbler
oh no what i meant was that i used those flavors of linux to try mounting the drive ~ figure i'll give them a try, wouldn't hurt - but seems like the only way is to do a fresh install with 9.2.1.5 - thanks again jock found the importing section from the guide ... love YOUR guide ~ very informative

cyberjock

Inactive Account
There's a guide I wrote on setting up a script to automatically backup your config file every night.. might want to set that up after you redo your FreeNAS machine. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.