SOLVED GUI Update from 11.0-U4 to 11.1-U1. After 30 mins, can't tell if still rebooting or hung

Status
Not open for further replies.

VictorR

Contributor
I applied the updates via GUI, went into System>Boot and activated 11.1, then rebooted and ate lunch
I've tried several time over the last 30 mins to access the GUI and keep getting "Site cannot be reached"
The NAS fans are running, so it is powered up. But, I have no idea whether it ever actually rebooted, or is still shutting down. Or, has rebooted and the 11.1 is somehow not working properly

The NAS specs are in my signature line. How long should this take?
Should i manually power down and restart the NAS?
Any advice on next step? What's the best way to revert to 11.0-U4 and delete 11.1, to try again?

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
Can you not access the console via IPMI and see if you're hung?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Is this on SSD boot devices? What model?

USB flash drives can take upwards of hours.

Also, note that FreeNAS reboots after an update to run migration tasks, then reboots again into a functioning environment.

VictorR

Contributor
Ok, finally got in via IPMI (forgot its IP Address)
Don't really know to do from here. But, here is a console screenshot
It just keeps repeating this

LBsN2gFgQz_CEConH-QZ5w.png

VictorR

Contributor
Is this on SSD boot devices? What model?

USB flash drives can take upwards of hours.

Also, note that FreeNAS reboots after an update to run migration tasks, then reboots again into a functioning environment.

It is booting from internal 120GB SSD drives

I don't really have a clue how to use IMPI console. But, is it possible to select the 11.0-U4 boot image from within that?

Last edited:

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo

VictorR

Contributor
38CA8BF5-BC31-4D72-A6F1-898914E7D6C4.jpeg
finally got back to this office. Watching boot-up, and using F11 to get to the boot environment. For some reason, 11.0-U4 does not show as an option. Only 11-1-U1

This is surprising, because I was very careful to activate the new version, and not delete the old. I cannot arrow down to the “Boot Environment Menu” and after 2 seconds, it boots into the damaged 11.1

The "c" command line option doesn't work because (I assume) it never fully boots into 11.1, and hangs in an infinite error loop

I’m a little nervous because there is ~80TB of of film footage on this NAS. Some of which they need access to right away

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
Select Boot Environment menu.

VictorR

Contributor
Select Boot Environment menu.

That’s the problem, I can’t do that. The up or down arrow doesn’t work at that point. And, I only have 2 seconds to attempt it, before it auto-starts the 11.1 boot

Is it possible to set the boot delay to a longer time in IPMI?

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
The up and down arrows don't work? Sir, they should work. Are you doing this via keyboard?

VictorR

Contributor
The up and down arrows don't work? Sir, they should work. Are you doing this via keyboard?

I tried at least 20x, with no luck. I finally gave up at 1am.

I’m going to get new cables and serial to USB adaptor today, and see if they are the problem. The new Belkin VGA to HDMI adaptor did not work. We finally had to borrow an old monitor with a VGA port

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
Doing this from IPMI is also possible sir.

VictorR

Contributor
Well, I wasn't able to do the ISO install via IPMI. From both direct serial/VGA connection and LAN, IPMI was not accepting the password for the install.

I was able to create a boot USB drive and do it that way. I pulled the existing boot USB out, and placed the new 11.1 in.....and that is where I think I went horribly wrong. I don't work at this office very often, anymore. once every 2-3 months. It only gave me the option of Install, not upgrade. I selected the first of our mirrored SSD drives for the install. Everything went smoothly....except, I think this NAS actually boots from the USB thumb drive. I may have overwritten the system config files because none of the networking was configured on reboot.

This NAS has 6 NICs lagged. None were configured. I turned it off because I am hoping that if it installed over the system config on the first SSD, the second still has that data. Because, if it doesn't, I don't think there will be any way to recover the 80TB of data on the array.

I'm really hoping this is not what happened. Or, I made a small problem into a HUGE one

VictorR

Contributor
Ok, 45 Drives tech support stepped up in a big way and solved this problem. All 86 TBs were recovered, all datasets were there. 11.1 is now running cleanly, even did the 11.2 update via the GUI. I just have to reconfigure users, network interfaces, shares, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.