GUI unaccessible after upgrade from 9.10 to 11.3

galantis

Cadet
Today I decided to upgrade my FreeNAS machine from 9.10 to 11.3 via the update functionality of the GUI.
When trying to access the GUI via a browser I got this:
1580739155631.png

I read other threads suggesting the browser to be the cause, so tried it on several (newly installed) browsers, still all the same message.

I can ping the machine. I can SSH into it as well, but not sure what credentials to enter here. I tried the ones I logged into the webpage GUI normally but those don't work. Also another user of which I'm sure I remember the username/password correctly won't login via SSH.

What are good steps for troubleshooting now?
Do I need to hook-up a screen/keyboard locally to configure something?

And if after I find no fix, I make a fresh USB stick with the OS (preferably 9.10 then) installed on it, I assume it will be able to find and import my existing pool during setup?

Have no access to specific specs right now, but this should come close:
MB: Supermicro x10sil
CPU: Xeon X3430
RAM: 16GB
HDD: 4x2GB WD Red in zraid2
FreeNAS OS from a separate 16GB USB stick

galantis

Cadet
I connected a local monitor and a continuous stream of errors was shown which only stopped when I closed the web interface on the remote pc that tried to access the system:
1580748881149.png

So one saying that connect() failed while connecting to upstream, and the other one related to resolving pool 0.freebsd.pool.ntp.org.

I read somewhere else that restarting the ngnix and django services might help.
For that I need to open somewhere a CLI, which I assume is done from the "Console Setup" menu one is normally presented with when connecting a monitor directly to a FreeNAS machine.
How do I access this menu from here?

galantis

Cadet
Just found another topic of which the symptoms seem to match to mine:

I read that it is not recommended to skip versions, stupid of me.

If it's true what post #2 in that topic is saying about the old version still being bootable from the grub boot menu, then I would be very happy. Will try this as soon as I can.

If someone has other suggestions, feel free.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Fresh install and upload config could be an easy solution.

galantis

Cadet
Fresh install and upload config could be an easy solution.

Yes, but I do not have a backup of the config file.
Can I still retrieve the config from the current USB stick? If so, how do I do this? Create and boot a fresh install on a different USB stick and then attempt to access the old stick?

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
It should be stored on your main pool if that's where you kept your system dataset. I would get a new USB, fresh install, then browse your system dateset and grab the config. I'm not sure what's required to do that but I think it's possible. Save your old USB just Incase.

galantis

Cadet
It should be stored on your main pool if that's where you kept your system dataset. I would get a new USB, fresh install, then browse your system dateset and grab the config. I'm not sure what's required to do that but I think it's possible. Save your old USB just in case.

I managed to boot into the 9.10 install by picking "initial-install" from the boot environment menu. But that loads the default config so still have to upload the one I found in the main pool, as you mentioned. It was located at /var/db/system/configs-***/.
But before messing around with that, I will first make a backup of all personal data. Luckily I was able to recover the existing zpool with ease.