Upgrading from 9.10 to 11.3 Questions

Christopher Ward

Contributor
My download jail decided to break and i figured this would be a good a time from 9.10 to 11.3. When installing big updates i always like to do fresh installs but all the guides i see are for upgrading and not doing a clean install. I want to keep my data but i don't care about the settings.

- Would i loose my data if i do a fresh and clean install, i have over 30TB so i don't want to start again
- How do i go about doing a clean install?

Is it as simple as;
unplug the current USB stick, quick format, make the usb stick bootable and stick the iso on it and install FreeNAS as normal then go into the web GUI and pools > Storage > Pools?

Last edited:

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
Is it as simple as;
unplug the current USB stick, quick format, make the usb stick bootable and stick the iso on it and install FreeNAS as normal then go into the web GUI and pools > Storage > Pools?
Storage > Pools > Add ... Import an existing pool.

To make your life better, before you shut down the existing system, stop all your jails/shares/services and detach the pool from it.

Christopher Ward

Contributor
Storage > Pools > Add ... Import an existing pool.

To make your life better, before you shut down the existing system, stop all your jails/shares/services and detach the pool from it.

Done all that, by the last one do you mean storage > volumes > detach volume?

1587468194744.png

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
Yes, make sure that you don't tick the box to destroy the data.

Yorick

Wizard
> unplug the current USB stick

While you are at it, do you have a small SSD you could use as a boot drive? It'll last longer than a USB stick. You'd boot from USB with the install ISO, and then install onto the SSD.

Intel 320 40GB are going for about 15 bucks on eBay, those make great boot drives.

Christopher Ward

Contributor
> unplug the current USB stick

While you are at it, do you have a small SSD you could use as a boot drive? It'll last longer than a USB stick. You'd boot from USB with the install ISO, and then install onto the SSD.

Intel 320 40GB are going for about 15 bucks on eBay, those make great boot drives.

Unfortunately I don't have any more sata ports available. Im using all 10 for my hard drives

I'm trying to install FreeNas into the USB stick but i don't see it under destination media but it must be there as it just boot to the install.

Do i need a second USB stick for the bootable ISO and an empty drive to install it onto?

1587476974212.png

sretalla