Do Config backups work when upgrading?

Status
Not open for further replies.

guermantes

Patron
Is a configuration backup from freenas 11.0 U4 of any use when I do a clean install and upgrade to 11.2 (once it's out of beta stage)?

Or should I write down all my Config choices prior to upgrading so I can replicate them?

(I tend to prefer clean installs, and it seems they render less problem reports here on the forums as well.)

danb35

Hall of Famer
Is a configuration backup from freenas 11.0 U4 of any use when I do a clean install and upgrade to 11.2
Of course, though the effect would be exactly the same as if you did an upgrade.

guermantes

Patron
Of course, though the effect would be exactly the same as if you did an upgrade.

I hear you, yet it is not uncommon to see the recommendation here on the forums when someone's upgrade has gone awry that they should try a clean install. That gives me the impression that clean install is somehow less prone to mishaps.

Brer

Explorer
While I have had some issues with the upgrades over existing installs, particularly going to a different train, I have never had any issues using a clean install and restoring the config from the previous version or train. The config upload seems to work 100% of the time for me at least, it is hit and miss over a straight upgrade.

gpsguy

... usually with that clean install, we're talking about doing it on new media and restoring the old configuration file.

they should try a clean install.

Status
Not open for further replies.