Need some advice with (upgrading to) 8.2 (final; when it's done).

Status
Not open for further replies.

HHawk

Contributor
Hi guys,

I have a few questions regarding my current FreeNAS 8.03 and upgrading to FreeNAS 8.2 (when it's final, not beta).

I am running FreeNAS 8.03 now with Sabnzbd, Couchpotato and Sickbeard without problems. To install these I followed a tutorial from the website "fantechtic" (http://blog.rogee.nl/).

Now as soon as FreeNAS 8.2 final is released I will probably make the switch, because of the plugin ability. However I am still quite new to FreeNAS (and Unix in general), so I have a few questions.

Question 1:
I think it's best to do a complete fresh clean install when FreeNAS 8.2 final is released, because of the plugin ability right? That way I would be able to update any used plugin much easier, right?

Question 2:
I am currently running 6 x 2 TB harddisks in RaidZ2. If I do a clean fresh install of FreeNAS 8.2, will I lose any data? How do I make the new install detect the current configuration of the 6 harddisks? In the past with clean fresh installs, sorry for sharing this, I did it pretty stupid. I copied everything to an external 1 TB harddisk and after the installation, I copied everything back. However nowadays I am using a lot more storage, so it would be impossible to do this way again. Certainly there must be an easier way, right?

Anyone interested to help me out?

Brosif_My_Nif

Explorer
HHawk,

Question #1:
I am running 8.2 Beta 2 right now. I am going to do a clean install when it's out of Beta just because, but you'd probably be fine doing an upgrade though the GUI just the same. I am also looking forward to the plugin abilities.

Question. #2:
You can import your pool through the GUI. No need to copy all your data first and then copy it all back.

If I were you, I'd make an ISO of 8.2 when its finally released, backup your configuration, do a clean install, import your pool, restore your configuration.

HHawk

Contributor
Thanks for taking the time to answer. Great I will follow up your answers.

One final, but quick question. Do I need to do anything special when I import pools? Or don't I have to do anything extra (before) and when a clean FreeNAS version has been installed, it will automatically find the pool and it's information?

ProtoSD

MVP
Do I need to do anything special when I import pools? Or don't I have to do anything extra (before) and when a clean FreeNAS version has been installed, it will automatically find the pool and it's information?

If you just backup your settings with the GUI and restore them after the upgrade, you *shouldn't* need to do any importing. If you do a clean install and don't restore your settings and do an Auto Import, you'll need to recreate your shares etc., but either way you won't lose your pool or data.

nogi

Explorer
I’m in the same boat, 4 x 3TB in RAIDZ under 8.0.3 and wanting to go straight to 8.2.0 via a clean install as I’ve got some issues with my current USB install. If I install to a new USB stick and then import the exported config from 8.0.3, does everything come across or do I still need to autoimport the ZFS volume? Also, by importing everything, I am also referring to user accounts, permissions on the ZFS volume etc…

Brosif_My_Nif

Explorer
I was not successful in uploading my saved config from 8.0.4 to 8.2.0 BETA 2. It did not take. I just assumed it was a bug with the BETA, so I re-did all my shares, users, etc. after importing via "Auto Import."

Freenas8_AutoImport.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.