How Easy are FreeNAS Upgrades?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mattlach

Patron
Hey all,

I'm about to build a new NAS system, and I definitely want ZFSv28, so my plan is to install FreeNAS 8.3 RC1 to set things up, and then upgrade to the final version when it is released. (Can't be long now, right?)

So, before I start, how easy is it to upgrade FreeNAS? Never having used it before, I can only compare it to the other FreeBSD based system I use (pfSense).

Is there an upgrade function built into it, or do I have to upgrade from disk?

When I upgrade does it save all settings, or does everything need to be configured again?

In the opinions of folks here, am I better off waiting for 8.3 Final, or should I be OK getting started with the RC1 version, and upgrading later?

Thanks,
Matt

cyberjock

Inactive Account
So, before I start, how easy is it to upgrade FreeNAS? Never having used it before, I can only compare it to the other FreeBSD based system I use (pfSense).

Is there an upgrade function built into it, or do I have to upgrade from disk?

When I upgrade does it save all settings, or does everything need to be configured again?

In the opinions of folks here, am I better off waiting for 8.3 Final, or should I be OK getting started with the RC1 version, and upgrading later?

Thanks,
Matt

Upgrading FreeNAS is the same as pfsense. Download a file, go to the GUI and load up the file, wait for a reboot and you are rocking and rolling. You could have found the answers to this in the manual. :P

The RCs(and often the Betas) are pretty reliable. If you aren't testing out new functions they typically work pretty well. I use mine for CIFS and that's all, and I have never had problems experimenting with the betas or RCs.

I STRONGLY advise you to read the manual cover to cover. It's very very well written. If you have computing experience it's got alot of what you want to know and none of the BS. I also recommend you check out my guide(link in my sig) for common problems people have(too often they lose data before they figure out what they did wrong).

My guess would be the final will be out with a week or two. If you don't have a compelling reason to setup the server right now, I'd wait for the final. Some people have had problems upgrading from RCs/betas to final versions because of their config files. I haven't had the problems myself, but I just want you to know what potential issues you may be getting yourself into before you make the jump.

mattlach

Patron
Upgrading FreeNAS is the same as pfsense. Download a file, go to the GUI and load up the file, wait for a reboot and you are rocking and rolling. You could have found the answers to this in the manual. :P

The RCs(and often the Betas) are pretty reliable. If you aren't testing out new functions they typically work pretty well. I use mine for CIFS and that's all, and I have never had problems experimenting with the betas or RCs.

I STRONGLY advise you to read the manual cover to cover. It's very very well written. If you have computing experience it's got alot of what you want to know and none of the BS. I also recommend you check out my guide(link in my sig) for common problems people have(too often they lose data before they figure out what they did wrong).

My guess would be the final will be out with a week or two. If you don't have a compelling reason to setup the server right now, I'd wait for the final. Some people have had problems upgrading from RCs/betas to final versions because of their config files. I haven't had the problems myself, but I just want you to know what potential issues you may be getting yourself into before you make the jump.

Appreciate the feedback.

And thanks for the polite RTFM, I know better, I should have read it first :o

tingo

Contributor
Additionally:
- backup first (see documentaton)
and note well: if you upgrade zfs and / or its pools ii is not possible to "downgrade". Upgrading zfs is a one-way street
(written because FreeNAS 8.3.0 bring zfs v28)

Status
Not open for further replies.