A Few Questions need some help with

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi im a n00b to freenas but i have been using it for over 6month now and i like it alot specially after being able to install Transmission but i have a few questions.

1. I have a ZFS system on my server where i have included 4 x 2TB HDDS and 4 x 1TB HDDS if i want to upgrade my 1TB Hard drives is it as easy as just shutdown freenas remove 1 x 1TB and replace it with a 2TB boot it up again and freenas will work its magic and then do the same for the 3 other hard drives remaining ? (operating system Freenas is stored on a 8GB Kingston SSD )

2 If a hard drive crashes can i just shutdown freenas replace it with a new and freenas will work its magic ?

3 the current version of freenas that's available 8.0.3 says u cant upgrade using GUI from my current version 8.0.2 but u can upgrade from FreeNAS-8.0.3-RC1, My question is can i upgrade 8.0.2 to FreeNAS-8.0.3-RC1 using GUI and then upgrade again using GUI to 8.0.3 ?

ProtoSD

MVP
Hi im a n00b to freenas but i have been using it for over 6month now and i like it alot specially after being able to install Transmission but i have a few questions.

1. I have a ZFS system on my server where i have included 4 x 2TB HDDS and 4 x 1TB HDDS if i want to upgrade my 1TB Hard drives is it as easy as just shutdown freenas remove 1 x 1TB and replace it with a 2TB boot it up again and freenas will work its magic and then do the same for the 3 other hard drives remaining ? (operating system Freenas is stored on a 8GB Kingston SSD )

I don't know the link for the documentation, but the process is called 'resilvering'. When you replace a disk, it regenerates (resilvers), the data on that disk using data from the other disks. You need to wait for this process to finish after each disk is replaced. When you've replaced all of your disks, from the command line you would need to do a 'zpool expand'?? You'll need to double check the docs because I don't remember if that's the exact command.

2 If a hard drive crashes can i just shutdown freenas replace it with a new and freenas will work its magic ?

This the same as above, except without the 'expand' command. When you do a replace from the GUI or command line, this triggers the 'resilver' process which can take HOURS depending on how much data you have. I'll try to update this post with a link to the appropriate link to the official docs later.

3 the current version of freenas that's available 8.0.3 says u cant upgrade using GUI from my current version 8.0.2 but u can upgrade from FreeNAS-8.0.3-RC1, My question is can i upgrade 8.0.2 to FreeNAS-8.0.3-RC1 using GUI and then upgrade again using GUI to 8.0.3 ?

Forget about upgrading to any of the RC-x versions, 8.0.3-RELEASE-p1 is the current version and the upgrade should work for that. It also wouldn't hurt to save your config/settings from the GUI before you upgrade.

Status
Not open for further replies.