First FreeNAS Build - Have some questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

jhpope

Cadet
Hello,

Sorry for the noob questions. I've read the FAQ and a few threads and googled a bit. I'm still just a little confused. I'm a developer so I'm technologically literate, just not so much on the server/networking side.

I just purchased some hardware for a FreeNAS build and I have some questions. Right now I have a PopcornHour I use for a media server with a 1TB drive in it which is just about full. I bought an HP Proliant server, 2 x 2GB Memory upgrade, and 2 x 2TB hard drives. I'd like to set up the server with the 2 x 2TB drives first, move the media from the 1TB drive to the new server, then add the 1TB drive into the server.

I think ZFS is the way to go here, but I'm a little confused about the whole vdev's and pools. I'd basically like to have 1 drive, I don't think data redundancy is super important to me. So would I just create a pool, set up each 2TB drive as a vdev and add them to that pool. I'd then have a 4TB drive correct? Then once I've moved my media over, I can create a vdev from the 1TB drive and add it to the pool and it would show up as a 5TB drive?

Is this correct? Can I just add a 1TB drive like that or would I need to split up the 2TB drives into 2 x 1TB vdev's each? If I need to set up a bunch of 1TB vdev's, would it be beneficial to have some redundancy?

Can someone suggest the best way for me to set up these drives?

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.