GUI does not load correctly on login

Status
Not open for further replies.

TristanM

Dabbler
Hi,

I am completely new to FreeNAS. I completed the install the other night and all seemed fine. I setup my volumes and created some datasets then powered down the machine to configure it this weekend. Today I log in and after entering username and password, the GUI does not load correctly. After some fiddling I found out that if I do a complete cache refresh (CTRL-F5) of the browser and it reloaded the GUI perfectly. I have tried Chrome and Internet Explorer, both are the same. I have restarted the machine and it is still the same.

1.png

Another problem is that the dataset configuration popup window is also no longer loading, it pops up and seems to display http request code instead of the GUI.

2.png

Anyone have an idea on what is going on and how to sort it out?

For a first experience using FreeNAS, I am a little worried as this is a new install and already not going to plan :(

Cheers,
Tristan

m0nkey_

MVP
Noticed you're connected over wireless. Can you try over Ethernet to rule it out?

TristanM

Dabbler
Noticed you're connected over wireless. Can you try over Ethernet to rule it out?
Hi, I first noticed this on my desktop which is wired. Took the screenshots on my laptop on wireless. The NAS is wired.

I have just deleted my volume and recreated it without encryption, rebooted, and all seemed to be fine. Even creating datasets worked. So I deleted the volume again and recreated it encrypted, and I have the same problem again. So this may be down to encrypted volumes?

m0nkey_

MVP
I've just seen your hardware specs in your signature.

Your CPU does not support AES-NI, which is a requirement for an encrypted pool to work correctly. It explains why it works when your create your pool without encryption.

danb35

Hall of Famer
Your CPU does not support AES-NI, which is a requirement for an encrypted pool to work correctly.
Is AES-NI truly a requirement? Obviously performance is going to suck without it, but I'd expect it should still work.

m0nkey_

MVP
Is AES-NI truly a requirement? Obviously performance is going to suck without it, but I'd expect it should still work.
Considering OPs system specifications are pretty non-optimal, it's going to be a big performance hit resulting in some oddness.

TristanM

Dabbler
Your CPU does not support AES-NI

I saw that in the documentation but it did state that it would still run and did mention the performance hit.

If the system has a lot of disks, there will be a performance hit if the CPU does not support AES-NI or if no crypto hardware is installed. Without hardware acceleration, there will be about a 20% performance hit for a single disk. Performance degradation will continue to increase with more disks. As data is written, it is automatically encrypted and as data is read, it is decrypted on the fly. If the processor does support the AES-NI instruction set, there should be very little, if any, degradation in performance when using encryption. This forum post compares the performance of various CPUs.

20% for the home user did not seem that bad. I think the problem embarking on most new things is when one says performance hit, it is hard to gauge how much so, would this effect the home user? I may just recreate the volumes with no encryption. I was also unaware that I had to unlock my volumes after a reboot, I did so and everything seems to work fine now and the solution to this post. Is this true? Now thinking about it, it seems logical if NAS is stolen.

m0nkey_

MVP
I saw that in the documentation but it did state that it would still run and did mention the performance hit.

20% for the home user did not seem that bad. I think the problem embarking on most new things is when one says performance hit, it is hard to gauge how much so, would this effect the home user? I may just recreate the volumes with no encryption. I was also unaware that I had to unlock my volumes after a reboot, I did so and everything seems to work fine now and the solution to this post. Is this true? Now thinking about it, it seems logical if NAS is stolen.
You're lacking a few key CPU features and you're below the recommended RAM for FreeNAS. If you address the RAM issue you could probably get away with it.

What worries me is that you enabled encryption without thinking about the consequences of your actions. Do you have the technical knowledge to get an encrypted pool mounted should you have a drive failure? Have you tested various scenarios to know what to do when a drive does fail?

Stux

MVP
Possible sw encryption pushes the memory requirements up.

AES pool encryption without aes-ni is a bad idea. Sw encryption is about a thousand times slower. So you go from 2% CPU usage to 100% and it's 80% slower.

TristanM

Dabbler
You're lacking a few key CPU features and you're below the recommended RAM for FreeNAS. If you address the RAM issue you could probably get away with it.
Thanks I am aware of that now. I was hoping to test a few things before going out and spending the earth from the start.

What worries me is that you enabled encryption without thinking about the consequences of your actions. Do you have the technical knowledge to get an encrypted pool mounted should you have a drive failure? Have you tested various scenarios to know what to do when a drive does fail?

Is it normal for the FreeNAS community to be condescending to newbies? Should I be offended? Consequences? What? I thought that is what I am trying to do? Test a few scenarios!

Possible sw encryption pushes the memory requirements up. AES pool encryption without aes-ni is a bad idea. Sw encryption is about a thousand times slower. So you go from 2% CPU usage to 100% and it's 80% slower.

Thank you Stux for your comments. I think I will be staying away from encryption for now.

m0nkey_

MVP
Is it normal for the FreeNAS community to be condescending to newbies? Should I be offended? Consequences? What? I thought that is what I am trying to do? Test a few scenarios!
My aim wasn't to be condescending. Far too many people enable encryption without understanding how it works or how to recover when things go wrong. The general advise is to avoid it in FreeNAS unless you have a legal obligation or corporate policy.

TristanM

Dabbler
My aim wasn't to be condescending. Far too many people enable encryption without understanding how it works or how to recover when things go wrong. The general advise is to avoid it in FreeNAS unless you have a legal obligation or corporate policy.
Alright, I will get back in my box. I just would rather try than never know! Thanks for the advice.

icsy7867

Contributor
I am having the exact same behavior, but I am not using an encrypted pool.

This started happening on my old build which used an FX-8120 processor, but now I am using server grade hardware (Xeon D-1528). Since moving, I am still having the exact same issue, with the exact same screenshot from the OP.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I am having the exact same behavior, but I am not using an encrypted pool.

This started happening on my old build which used an FX-8120 processor, but now I am using server grade hardware (Xeon D-1528). Since moving, I am still having the exact same issue, with the exact same screenshot from the OP.
  1. Don't use Chrome
  2. Use CTRL+F5 to hard refresh the page

icsy7867

Contributor
ctrl + F5 works as well. Issue also persists in Edge, but I will give FireFox a whirl. Just something new that has never happened before

adamdes

Cadet
I have the same issue with both Chrome and Edge. CTRL+F5 works as a work-around, but this is not normal.

It opens just fine in IE.

Not using encryption, really basic setup with a Windows SMB share.

Running FreeNAS-11.0-U4 (54848d13b).

BBarker

Contributor
Use Internet Explorer

Chrome is spotty and Edge doesn't work at all.

I don't use Firefox but IE works fine.

adamdes

Cadet
Using IE is a work around, there is an issue that needs to be fixed with a script on the gui :

upload_2017-10-29_0-16-52.png

I reported it as a bug. Will see where this leads.

I'm able to use it (IE or CTRL+F5 loads the GUI in Chrome), I'm just trying to improve the product by suggesting to try to fix an issue that a lot of people report having.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
11.1 should fix this. If not, file a bug report.

Status
Not open for further replies.