group configuration lost after NetBIOS name change

Status
Not open for further replies.

wirehead

Cadet
Hello,

I have some troubble with Samba and Windows permissions in Freenas 11.1-U5.
We use it as a small NAS with 8 users.

Problem:
After I change the standard Netbios name in the UI SMB configuration, i lost all configurated groups.
If i view the permission settings for a SMB share in Windows Explorer, there is only S-123-45-678-.... for the groups.
If i request all groups and users from the freenas server it shows only the users.
The problem seems not to be on client side, it occurs also on an fresh windows setup.

After changing the NetBios name back to "freenas" all groups and users are displayed correct.

Can somebody help to solve this problem (changing the NetBios name)?

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Hello,

I have some troubble with Samba and Windows permissions in Freenas 11.1-U5.
We use it as a small NAS with 8 users.

Problem:
After I change the standard Netbios name in the UI SMB configuration, i lost all configurated groups.
If i view the permission settings for a SMB share in Windows Explorer, there is only S-123-45-678-.... for the groups.
If i request all groups and users from the freenas server it shows only the users.
The problem seems not to be on client side, it occurs also on an fresh windows setup.

After changing the NetBios name back to "freenas" all groups and users are displayed correct.

Can somebody help to solve this problem (changing the NetBios name)?

I just fixed this bug for 11.2. It's fairly straightforward: https://github.com/freenas/freenas/commit/169812a82bf84abbbce24b78c8521a3a9c10e3f2

wirehead

Cadet
Hello anodos,
Ok, the bug report fits to my problem :)
If i understand correctly: I edit the files in /conf/base/etc/ix.rc.d and /etc/ix.rc.d, change the NetBios name from the GUI and problem solved?

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Hello anodos,
Ok, the bug report fits to my problem :)
If i understand correctly: I edit the files in /conf/base/etc/ix.rc.d and /etc/ix.rc.d, change the NetBios name from the GUI and problem solved?
Pretty much, but you should restart samba one time after changing those files. This will force the current SID to be saved into the freenas-v1.db file.

Snapshot your boot environment before editing the config files so that you can roll back if you really mess something up. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.