Cannot Resolve NETBIOS name of freenas machine

Status
Not open for further replies.

silverdevil

Dabbler
Hi guys,

newbie to freenas here, i am pulling my hair out on this one. So i'm trying to setup freenas CIFS share. Followed this guide up to step 5:

https://forums.freenas.org/index.ph...-of-how-to-configure-share-permissions.35276/

I got all the way up to step 5 but when i goto Network in Win7, i cannot open my FREENAS computer icon. I get the old "Windows cannot access \\FREENAS" message. But if I try to connect to \\192.168.1.100\documents (the location of the share), i get prompted to enter the login: password of the freenas user i created in the earlier steps and it works fine.

please help. thanks so much..

a little background... i completely rebooted and reinstalled freenas on my machine after mucking around with permissions and screwing everything up with jails and etc. i unmounted and wiped all drives and everything. i had the shares working previously, but somehow it all got messed up. i am stunned that completely reinstalling everything has not fixed it.

i tried flushing the DNS already. i tried clearing NETBIOS cache using nbtstat -R but this resulted in "failed to purge NBT Remote cache table"

Can anyone explain why this is happening? All my other NETBIOS machines resolve fine and this is really bugging the heck out of me.

Thanks in advance.

Spearfoot

He of the long foot
Make sure you have a 'Local Master' (AKA Browser Master) configured on your network; this can be one of your Windows machines or the FreeNAS server. Also, make sure your Workgroup specification on the FreeNAS server matches your Windows network, too. The workgroup setting defaults to 'WORKGROUP' - I use 'NCSPEERS' on my network as you can see below:
cifs-settings.jpg

RalphC

Dabbler
Hello,
I don't mean to chime in, but I'm having the same exact issue and cannot seem to resolve it. There is no server, this is a Windows Workgroup environment. I've created the CIFS share using the same exact user name/password as on the Windows machine and cannot access the CIFS.

silverdevil

Dabbler
Hi Spearfoot, thanks for your response. Yes I set up the computers and freenas on the same workgroup called "NODEX". And yes, currently my router is the master browser. I used this tool to help me query the workgroup, called "lanscan"

http://scottiestech.info/2009/02/14/how-to-determine-the-master-browser-in-a-windows-workgroup/

I think i see a problem, but i dont know how to fix it: why the heck is my freenas machine not on the same subnet as my other computers? they are all wired to my router, what is going on? it should be 192.168.1.xxx but its this wierd address like 198.105.244.228? what setting is messed up? Thanks
lanscan.png
cifsconfig.png

Last edited:

silverdevil

Dabbler
I figured it out guys!

i had a tomato firmware on my ASUS router that was running samba file sharing and had WINS turned on as well. I shut that down made freenas CIFS local master and now the IP subnets match and NETBIOS all resolve. thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.