Cannot Access SMB Share By Custom NetBIOS Name

mtloya

Cadet
Hi all,

Apologies, I'm new to TrueNAS and learning as I go. I also couldn't find many other topics with my exact issue that had a working solution, so here goes.

I've successfully created an SMB share and can access it via \\TRUENAS\(share), but I don't want "TRUENAS" showing up on the network.
So, I changed the NetBIOS name to something more relevant, but for the purposes of this topic, let's say that it's CAD-NAS. Everything on the console side of the share looks correct.

NetBIOS name, alias, network hostname, and even the Kerberos principal are ALL "CAD-NAS", and yet, regardless of how I type it, whether it be just the name, with a period after it, or the entire FQDN, I cannot connect to the share at all. But, I still can with "TRUENAS".

What am I doing wrong/missing? I can't think of anything else to do, and I would greatly prefer that my users connect to the actual name rather than the generic truenas name. They don't need to know the underlying software for the share, they need to know the machine it lives on.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!