grinding noise - HDD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kennyvb8

Contributor
Hello
i have 6 HDD in raidz1-0 i think, and last night one of the disks startet makeing grinding noises, and still doing.
Smart test shor/long all passes on all disks?!? so how do i figurer out which one is doing the noise? i have 2 new disks laying around i can easily replace 1-2 drives, but how to find the misterious one?

else i think i need to make som dd test in the zpool. and starting offline/online disks until it stops while standing next to the server?

Last edited:

Jailer

Not strong, but bad

kdragon75

Wizard
Touch it, it's likely vibrating more than the others.

If that fails if you happen to have a friend or neighbor with a mechanics stethoscope that will do the trick to listen to each drive.

kdragon75

Wizard
If that fails if you happen to have a friend or neighbor with a mechanics stethoscope that will do the trick to listen to each drive.
You can also use a long screw driver. Press you ear to the handel and the tip to the drive and apply a small amount of pressure. Works almost as well as a mech stethoscope.

Kennyvb8

Contributor
Thanks a bunch, for all the answers!
i took a lucky attempt last night and marked a disk as offline and wham bam ! i found it! sadly i dont have any spare laying around so just orderet 2 new disk, 1 to replace and 1 for laying around :)

kdragon75

Wizard
You don't say what drives your using but if there all the same model and one sounds bad, RMA/chuck it! With that said, some drives when the actuator (read/write arm) is working, sound like grinding gears... May be worl plugging the model into google to see if its a common complaint.

Kennyvb8

Contributor
You don't say what drives your using but if there all the same model and one sounds bad, RMA/chuck it! With that said, some drives when the actuator (read/write arm) is working, sound like grinding gears... May be worl plugging the model into google to see if its a common complaint.

Just som random sata HDD. The one I turned off was a Samsung spinpoint running at 6.1 year online time 2 tb

Bought two ironwolf just waiting for them to arrive

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.