Green box: An error occurred! Where do i find the full error message?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mbalsam

Explorer
Is there a log file where all freenas specific errors are written?

I know to look in

/var/log/messages

others in

/var/log/debug

Are there other places???

Thanks

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Can you be a bit more specific about the error your seeing?

mbalsam

Explorer
I'm talking about error messages that appear next to the FreeNas Logo. The one I was getting occurred when I attempted to save the freenas configuration to a file. It magically fixed itself since then.

After clicking on System > General > Save Config

Last edited:

mbalsam

Explorer
Ok, it was an error in a green window. makes sense.. :<

upload_2018-6-23_8-31-36.png

mbalsam

Explorer
First off, who the hell puts an error in a green box? Next, no more detail other than "an error has occurred". Finally, I've used this system for 3+ years and i still don't know where to look for the explanation for this error. Your documentation still has a long way to go before you can call this an enterprise product.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
What are you trying to do when the error occurs. Also what are your hardware specs.

mbalsam

Explorer
FreeNAS-11.1-U5 - Dell R710 - 64G, 6 x 4T WD-Red (3 pools of 2way mirrors) Raid-10?

System > General > Save Config

it works intermittently, and I have saved the configuration.

My main question is: Where do I look for the full description of the error?

Jailer

Not strong, but bad

mbalsam

Explorer
on the System > General tab I'm trying to click on the button titled "Save Config"

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
It's quite possible your boot device is dying. What are you using for a boot device? (this is why you post full hardware specs per the forum rules)

mbalsam

Explorer
root@freenas:~ # zpool status
pool: freenas-boot
state: ONLINE
scan: scrub repaired 0 in 0 days 00:01:22 with 0 errors on Mon Jun 18 03:46:22 2018
config:

NAME STATE READ WRITE CKSUM
freenas-boot ONLINE 0 0 0
da7p2 ONLINE 0 0 0

errors: No known data errors

Boot Volume Condition: HEALTHY

mbalsam

Explorer
If i knew where the detailed error messages was, we would not need to guess. The boot drive is a 16G SanDisk Cruzer Fit. Its suported.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
root@freenas:~ # zpool status
pool: freenas-boot
state: ONLINE
scan: scrub repaired 0 in 0 days 00:01:22 with 0 errors on Mon Jun 18 03:46:22 2018
config:

NAME STATE READ WRITE CKSUM
freenas-boot ONLINE 0 0 0
da7p2 ONLINE 0 0 0

errors: No known data errors

Boot Volume Condition: HEALTHY
That is not only meaningless, it didn't anwer the question. If you can't answer questions, you won't get any help...
If i knew where the detailed error messages was, we would not need to guess. The boot drive is a 16G SanDisk Cruzer Fit. Its suported.
Just because it is supported does not mean it can't be going bad.
I've used this system for 3+ years
Same boot device this whole time?

mbalsam

Explorer
Two different servers. This only is 3 months old. The last one is deployed in a datacenter and I have not had a single problem with it. But it does NOT have SMB or ActiveDirectory.

The question posed to me was: What are you using for a boot device?

To which I answered, in the next post, a 16G SanDisk Cruzer Fit.

I posted the Scrubs to show that as far as ZFS is concerned, there are no errors on the boot device. The next line shows that boot device was scrubed and is currently Health.

I also added my hardware specs to my signature line, as requested.

I'm not trying to offend, but i've asked several times about a log file location and no one provides an answer. I will assume that there is no specific log file and leave it at that.

Currently, every time I click the "Save Config" button I get the configuration saved without the error message. So, this is not an urgent issue, and i do appreciate everyone's' effort on my behalf.

mbalsam

Explorer
Just noticed something, In the /var/log/messages log I see

Jun 23 11:28:42 freenas smartd[84653]: Unable to register device /dev/da7 (no Directive -d removable). Exiting.

When i try to start the SMART service

and /dev/da7 is the boot device..

I was not going to bring this up as it's a different topic, but i cant start my SMART service.

mbalsam

Explorer
It appears that the USB had SMART enabled on it. After disabling SMART on /dev/da7 SMART now starts. Not sure if this is related or not...

toadman

Guru
USB flash drives sometimes (most times) don't support SMART, which is probably why smartd was having an issue with attempting to work with that flash drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.