Once every few weeks FreeNAS stops responding

Status
Not open for further replies.

dev246

Dabbler
I have a problem with FreeNAS, that once every few weeks they stop responding. On the screen there are no error messages, only the standard records that stopped when the problem occurred. It can not be logged by web, ssh, or enter the SMB shares, only the ping reply, and only a reboot helps to restore him to life
Log in / var / log / messages cuts off when the problem occurred and the next entries are already on the restart.

I can't reproduce the problem, it happens from time to time regardless of the load, or other factors.

Where else can I look for information what could be causing the problem?

I use FreeNAS version 9.2.1.7-RELEASE-x64
The hardware platform is:
Processor: 2x Intel (R) Xeon (R) CPU E5335 @ 2.00GHz
Memory: 16337MB ECC FB
Disk Controller: 2x IBM ServeRAID M1015, it crossflashed IT mode
Motherboard: Intel S5000XVN

Anything in /data/crash/info.last or /data/crash/textdump.tar.last ?

I have a similar setup (X9SCM, 32GB ECC, 2x M1015 IT mode, FreeNAS 9.2.1.9) and have been experiencing a lot of random lockup/reboots within the last month. I recently discovered the /data/crash directory, maybe it'll hold some useful information for you.

For example, here's my latest crash – seems like maybe a hardware error :/

[mannkind@alexandria] ~# cat /data/crash/textdump.tar.last
mps1: IOC Fault 0x40000d04, Resetting
mps1: Reinitializing controller,
mps1: Firmware: 16.00.00.00, Driver: 16.00.00.00-fbsd
mps1: IOCCapabilities: 1285c<ScsiTaskFull,DiagTrace,SnapBuf,EEDP,TransRetry,EventReplay,HostDisc>
mps_config_set_dpm_pg0: request for header completed with error 16_mapping_flush_dpm_pages: write of dpm entry 8 for device failed

Last edited:

fracai

Guru
I was experiencing similar behavior that I couldn't track down. It seemed like it might be a deadlock, but even the current terminal session was locking up. Oddly enough, I would get a notification in the terminal that the UPS had lost connection a few seconds later, but I'm pretty sure that was just because the rest of the system was locking up. Even weirder, I could continue to play media via NFS.

The only thing that seemed to be consistent was that it only occurred when I was in a tmux session. And then I ran across a report that a recent update fixed several system stability issues. FreeNAS 9.3 has a more recent tmux version.

So for now I use tmux via an alias to a version from a jail:
Code:
alias tmux='sudo chroot -u fracai -g fracai /mnt/tardis/jails/playground tmux -f /home/fracai/.tmux.conf'

Using tmux from a jail like that has some downsides, but I haven't experienced a system freeze like this since. Hopefully there aren't any major issues once 9.3 is released and I can upgrade soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.