Granting a user within a Jail (Plex) specific access to a Share

Hazimil

Contributor
FreeNAS v11.0-U2

Hi

I have a DataSet called " Films", which has the owner of "nobody" and the owner group " Films". By default the Windows Share has the Security properties of:

Everyone [Read & Execute, List folder contents, Read]
Films (FreeNAS\Films) [Full control]
nobody (FreeNAS\nobody) [Full control]

I have setup a Jail read-only storage of " /mnt/tank/Films" -> " /mnt/Films" within the GUI for the Jail. Plex is installed in it's own Jail and is running no problems. My account is a member of the "Films" group, so I can therefore add/delete files to the share, but no-one else can (which is what I want).

Everything works OK, until I decided to remove the "Everyone" access to the data share via Windows Explorer folder security, and then Plex stops seeing the files! I wanted to remove the "Everyone" access, so stop other accounts from browsing to the share within Windows, as I am controlling access to the files via Plex (for parental controls features).

Is there a way to grant access [Read & Execute, List folder contents, Read] to the share for the Jail's Plex account user (I'm assuming its the user "plex"), so that I can restrict other from viewing the files?

Cheers
Jonathan

Last edited:

Hazimil

Contributor
*small bump*

Hazimil

Contributor
I'm still looking into this, one work around is to give the windows share name a $ at the end, i.e. Films$, which at least stops people from browsing to the folder (they would have to know the name), not ideally what I'm looking for but might work.

Any others ideas?

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Make a films group in the jail with the same gid as the films group in freenas. Then add the plex user to that films group in the jail.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Hazimil

Contributor
Make a films group in the jail with the same gid as the films group in freenas. Then add the plex user to that films group in the jail.

Wonderful, that's done it :)

Such a simple solution, thanks.

Yours
Jonathan

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Wonderful, that's done it :)

Such a simple solution, thanks.

Yours
Jonathan
No problem I think there is even a resource guide on here that gives that exact solution. That's how I do it in my jails.

Hazimil

Contributor
No problem I think there is even a resource guide on here that gives that exact solution.

There most probably is, but as always it down to how you word your searches to find it! :)

Jonathan

Keven

Contributor

I didn't get how you can make a "film group" in a jail... do i have to do that with the CLI or it can be done via the GUI?

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
I didn't get how you can make a "film group" in a jail... do i have to do that with the CLI or it can be done via the GUI?
Cli in the jail.

Keven

Contributor

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Ehhh not really. You can just use iocage console command and skip all the ssh stuff. I didn't see anything in those documents about creating groups.