GPU Transcoding in Plex container/VM

brymck

Cadet
Tried searching through the forums and no real luck with finding any detailed answers on this.

My understanding is there was a limitation on FreeBSD, or with the FreeBSD version of Plex, that prevented hardware passthrough of GPUs to the jails that Plex ran in on FreeNAS 11.

Now that FreeBSD is seemingly not a factor since from what I read, SCALE has moved to Debian, I wasn't sure if GPU passthrough was supported in any of the container/jail/VM implementations in SCALE, to be able to take advantage of a dedicated GPU card for transcoding in Plex for hardware that does not have IGPU capability.

Thank you!

brymck

Cadet
Thanks for this, unfortunately this is specifically for iGPU present in CPU chipsets. I'm going to be running running a Dell r720xd with Xeon v2 processors (Sandy or Ivy bridge, I forget) that do not have integrated GPU. I'm looking to use a dedicated PCIe GPU (Quadro P400) for transcoding to preserve CPU for NAS/other activities, if I'm running an all in one.

brymck

Cadet
hello
extras from
https://www.truenas.com/docs/hub/scale/dev-notes/
Docker with NVIDIA –gpu passthrough flags
Thank you! This may prove to be what is needed. I think I will hold off until SCALE goes GA and keep my r710 (which the r720xd is replacing) as a test bed for when that happens. For now I will likely look at ESXI or proxmox on the 720xd as a production-ready deployment - run two VMs, one for TrueNAS with disks passed through controller in IT mode, and one as an Ubuntu deployment with the GPU card passed through to run Plex and some other software.

Dan Tudora

Patron
Thank you! This may prove to be what is needed. I think I will hold off until SCALE goes GA and keep my r710 (which the r720xd is replacing) as a test bed for when that happens. For now I will likely look at ESXI or proxmox on the 720xd as a production-ready deployment - run two VMs, one for TrueNAS with disks passed through controller in IT mode, and one as an Ubuntu deployment with the GPU card passed through to run Plex and some other software.
hello
I want to use HW acceleration for other thing like encoding/decoding H264/H265 stream from network surveillance camera in Shinobi software
in TrueNAS Scale 20.10 (Angelfish) NVIDIA drivers is 450.66
that drivers do not support old nvidia card like quadro 600 quadro 2000 and other old card
the same problem I have including in Ubuntu 16 and 18
I have success with a NVS 510 card
success

rssfed23

Cadet
You can just pass in /dev/dri as a device to the container like any other linux distro. Look at the linuxserver project for how they do it on their plex container (https://hub.docker.com/r/linuxserver/plex).

Intel quicksync working a treat on my SCALE box by adding the following to my docker-compose.yml:
Code:
    devices:
      - /dev/dri:/dev/dri

As mentioned, you'll need nvidia-docker to do the same for nvidia cards though.
If you can run it containerised personally I would to avoid the overhead of running a full VM just for Plex.

brymck

Cadet
You can just pass in /dev/dri as a device to the container like any other linux distro. Look at the linuxserver project for how they do it on their plex container (https://hub.docker.com/r/linuxserver/plex).

Intel quicksync working a treat on my SCALE box by adding the following to my docker-compose.yml:
Code:
    devices:
      - /dev/dri:/dev/dri

As mentioned, you'll need nvidia-docker to do the same for nvidia cards though.
If you can run it containerised personally I would to avoid the overhead of running a full VM just for Plex.

Yeah will be an nvidia card (Quadro P400). And the VM would not just be for Plex, my current setup with the r210ii is also running sonarr/radarr/nzbget/tt-rss/a few other apps.