Goodbye GPU, Hello WD Red... (Seeking general upgrade advice)

mberi

Cadet
I've been wanting to build a NAS for a long time now. Finally decided to buy a set of drives and chuck them in my old gaming rig.
(Not ideal, I know)

My current Setup
Asus Z97-AR Motherboard
Intel Core i5-4690K
2x 8 GB Corsair Pro DDR3 running at 1600 MHz (XMP Disabled)

Data pool
RAIDZ1 of 3x 4 TB Western Digital Red WD40EFZX (WD Red Plus)

Boot pool
512 GB SP A55 SSD

My Use Case
Time Machine Backup for 2 MacBooks
General storage of files I don't want to keep on my limited laptop storage drive
(Not very critical and not updated very frequently, so I have a backup on an external USB drive, but it's more convenient to access off the network than plugging in a drive every time)

This would be replacing my 3 TB Time Capsule A1409, which I bought off of eBay 3 years ago, originally manufactured in 2011.
It uses only a single drive, and I'm lucky if I get 20MB/s even connected over Ethernet.
So it's a sizable upgrade both in terms of storage capacity as well as reliability.

Reading the forum, I have now realized that Non-ECC memory is not the way to go and I anyways plan to upgrade this setup to parts more suited for this use case. I would eventually like to have a small form factor build with something like the SuperMicro CS721 or Silverstone DS380. This machine would also be in my bedroom so I would prefer a more silent build with larger fans (Hence leaning more towards the DS380). I have two ways to approach this:

1. Upgrade immediately to an ECC platform. The following seems to be available on eBay for under $200
  • Intel Xeon E3 1271 v3
  • SuperMicro X10SLL-F
  • 16 GB DDR3 ECC Unbuffered RAM
I'm unable to find any suitable mini-ITX motherboards for this setup, so not very ideal for the future cases I'm planning

2. Keep using my current setup, save up a little and eventually get an Asrock Rack mini-ITX motherboard with an Intel Atom C3558 and matching RAM

I welcome all comments and suggestions on my current setup as well as upgrade plan.

Pics of current build:
2 drives are in the drive bays in the bottom of the case. For the third, I had to get a fan mount to 3.5" b

Attachments

• IMG_3860.jpeg
    IMG_3860.jpeg
    225.7 KB · Views: 114
  • IMG_3862.jpeg
    IMG_3862.jpeg
    279.2 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_3863.jpeg
    IMG_3863.jpeg
    208.7 KB · Views: 110

mberi

Cadet