Should i build a new one to replace the old c236 build?

Should i buy spare parts? Or just to build a new nas?

• buy spare parts

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • build a new nas

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

b7842

Dabbler
Here is the config of my build in 2016 Dec.
G4400
Asrock C236 wsi
32 GB Kingston ECC RAM
WD RED 4TB*8 (raidz2)
SilverStone DS380
SilverStone sfx power supply
APC UPS BR550GI

Daily usage:
Only to store the video file and personal data for 6 desktops, never to use the jail, vm or other plugins
the zfs pool is 90% full

In this 5 years, I did not meet any big trouble for the NAS. Freenas is a great os for DIY users.
However, I worry about the aging issue of the hardware, such as the c236 motherboard, apc ups and the power supply.
Is it worth to buy a spare c236, a new UPS BR650MI and a new sfx power supply?
Or to build a new nas to replace the old one?

If i build a new one, is it worth to upgrade to 10G network as well? I have no idea about the read/write speed if I build a raidz2 pool with 8TB disks.
Thank you.

ChrisRJ

Wizard
What is your acceptable downtime?

b7842

Dabbler
What is your acceptable downtime?
Only my family members are using this nas. The downtime can be ignored.
Here is my plans.
Plan A: ~1600USD
To replace the c236, ups, power supply with a brand new one. And then replace the 4TB disks to 8TB disks one by one. As a result, the zfs pool will be expanded from 24TB to 48TB.
Plan B:
To build a new NAS with matx cases. But it may cost a lot to buy the 10G hardwares. e.g. the 10G switch, network card and so on.

ChrisRJ

Wizard
Well, if downtime is no issue then why the whole exercise? You could just replace parts one they are failing.

As to 10 Gbps, you will need to ensure that all parts of the chain can actually saturate that bandwidth. With your current pool that is certainly not possible. Please check the recommended readings in my signature.