WD Red 10TB not detected on SAS2008

Nughs78

Cadet
I've been running a pool of 12 x 4TB is 2 x 6 disk z2 vdevs. They've been running off 2x Dell perc H310s flashed to IT mode P20.

I recently had a drive fail and figured maybe it's time to start slowly swapping drives (they're getting up there), while at the same time enabling a capacity upgrade as the endstate.

I picked up 2 x WD Red 10TB WD101EFBX drives.

Neither drive connected to either card detects, multiple camcontrol errors, eventually timing out.

Anyone here successfully running WD Red 10TB WD101EFBX on SAS 2008 cards?

If so did you run into any issues? Or require specific configuration changes?

Redcoat

MVP
Welcome to the forums!

I'm imagining that these drives have the SATA 3.2+, SATA 3.3, PWDIS feature enabled on pin 3. If so, to prevent the HDD from getting 3.3V on pin 3, there are 2 potential approaches to doing this in situations where used with older power supplies compliant with SATA specs prior to 3.2+:

1. Use a molex to SATA adapter, since 3.3V will not be provided for pins 1-3.
2. Use Kapton self-adhesive 1 mil tape to tape over pin 3 (taping over pins 1-3 also works, just be sure that all of pin 3 is covered).

Last edited:

Nughs78

Cadet
Disregard looks like the issue all along was the backplane.

Direct connected the drives work fine, and there is nothing wrong with my original drives.

Redcoat

MVP
Direct connected the drives work fine, and there is nothing wrong with my original drives.
Glad to hear you have the issue well diagnosed!