Gigabyte's new Atom server board (MA10-ST0)

Status
Not open for further replies.

m0nkey_

MVP
So Gigabyte has a new board coming out, known as the MA10-ST0. It's a monster!

Here's a quick run down of the hardware specs:

• Intel® Atom™ C3958 SoC
  • 32GB eMMC flash memory (USB drives are so 2016)
  • Dual Channel RDIMM/ECC UDIMM DDR4, 4 x DIMMs (up to 512GB RAM!)
  • 2 x 10Gb/s SFP+ and 2 x 1Gb/s LAN ports
  • 4 x Mini-SAS up to 16 x SATA 6Gb/s ports
Full details here: http://b2b.gigabyte.com/Server-Motherboard/MA10-ST0-rev-11

The good news is, according to this article, the board does work with FreeNAS 11. There is however currently no support for the 10Gb/s SFP+ ports but I imagine that will be addressed in the not too distant future.

This board will make for a few interesting builds (and not just for FreeNAS, maybe a high end firewall?), I can't help but think this board will be very expensive.

silverback

Contributor
I been thinking about going to a low power atom build with 6 big drives. Looks like this would fit the bill nicely. I guess supermicro will have similar offerings eventually, haven't actually found them in stock anywhere. Thanks for this.

Last edited by a moderator:

Stux

MVP

Dice

Wizard
At some point it will likely be ready.
At that point, oh my gosh. *drool*

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
FreeBSD 11.1 should have driver support, so it'd be nice of them to quickly try it out.

danb35

Hall of Famer
4 x Mini-SAS up to 16 x SATA 6Gb/s ports
The product page doesn't seem quite clear whether these are true SAS ports, or just four SATA ports bundled into one SAS connector. Looks like a nice board, though.

m0nkey_

MVP
The product page doesn't seem quite clear whether these are true SAS ports, or just four SATA ports bundled into one SAS connector. Looks like a nice board, though.
They appear to be only SATA ports.

danb35

Hall of Famer
They appear to be only SATA ports.
That's what I suspected from the block diagram. Bummer. Means those of us with expander backplanes will still need a SAS HBA.

Dice

Wizard

joeschmuck

Old Man
I'm curious how fast this board is going to be. 16 Cores sounds nice but they would need to be used in the proper way or it's just a waste. @m0nkey_ thanks for posting this.

Waco

Explorer
Those cores are pretty junky from an IPC / clock speed standpoint. Don't expect anything lightly-threaded to run well.

Constantin

Vampire Pig
This may very well be my next board when the current one dies thanks to the LGA errata affecting the Asrock in my Mini XL. The combination of onboard SFP+ and support for 16 drives in a low TDP package is pretty amazing.

The A2SDi-H-TP4F from SuperMicro also falls into this category. Likely more expensive due to the 2x10GBE ports and 2 SFP+ cages. Perhaps this board will be supported sooner than the Gigabyte one? Installing FreeNAS on the M2 port seems more common than the on-board flash solution found on the Gigabyte board.

Asrock has something slightly bigger in the works, the C3758D4U-2TP2OP8R. Larger than the mini ITX boards above, it offers two PCI expansion ports and a LSI3008 SAS controller. It appears to be a atom version of a D1541-based board they already sell. They also have mini ITX boards.

All of these boards look extremely interesting but online availability of any 3000-series Atom board appears to be pretty sparse. The D1541 versions are out there around the $1k price point. Depending on the version, the 3000-series may offer better performance at 2/3 the TDP.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.