General Help with Email Notification

Status
Not open for further replies.

IceBoosteR

Guru
Hello guys,
I'm very happy with my FreeNAS System but I do not have enabled the Emal notification yet. This is because, my NAS is only available in the internal network, and has no connection to the internet (because I don't need it). So there is a very useful feature and it is recommended to enable the notifications via email. Is is possible to set up this in the local network only? I have read about a mailserver jail, where I will receive this mails and then have to configure Outlook, Thunderbird or my mobile device to receive those mails. Is there a recommended solution, or is there another way to monitor my FreeNAS system successfully and have a good overview?
Is this maybe implemented in FreeNAS 10, that I can the the "health" status from the GUI?
Thank you in advance.
IceBoosteR

D

dlavigne

Did you decide upon a solution for this?

Note that you stay logged into the GUI, the Alert button will let you know if there is a problem.

m0nkey_

MVP
FreeNAS requires a SMTP relay to deliver it's notifications. This can either be your ISP, Gmail, Outlook or whatever SMTP server. You can also set-up a jail running Sendmail, Postfix or Qmail as SMTP and pick them up using an IMAP server such as Dovecot or Cyrus.

IceBoosteR

Guru
Did you decide upon a solution for this?

Note that you stay logged into the GUI, the Alert button will let you know if there is a problem.
Hi,
yes I know that the GUI will inform me, if there is something critical, but I do not know what exactly. Maybe if a SMART value is critical, or the CPU does not work?
But I do not have decided to go for a solution, as it takes some time....

FreeNAS requires a SMTP relay to deliver it's notifications. This can either be your ISP, Gmail, Outlook or whatever SMTP server. You can also set-up a jail running Sendmail, Postfix or Qmail as SMTP and pick them up using an IMAP server such as Dovecot or Cyrus.
Oh okey, thank you for the information. So I only need a SMTP relay on the other side? There is no need for me to install a jail, when my box is connected to the internet, right?
Otherwise I have to go with "Sendmail, Postfix or Qmail" for inhouse emailing?
Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.