freenas 8.0.1-rc2 smart test email notification intention

Status
Not open for further replies.

anthony

Dabbler
I just updated to the latest FreeNAS 8.0.1-RC2 and email notification test works with SSL. Was wondering what the intention of the SMART tests were ... to report all test results or just when there is a failure. my drives are operating nominally and I have not received any email notifications. is this working correctly as designed? i've never seen the results of the short test and if they are pass/fail then it doesn't do much good to receive pass test results.

ProtoSD

MVP
Hi Anthony,

They just completely redid the email system. A lot of us haven't actually seen what types of emails are supposed to be sent. Some of us have managed to get email to work to the extent of receiving nightly status emails. I had a drive fail and didn't receive an email, but I did get an error in the log saying there was an error trying to send an email, so hopefully I won't have anymore disks fail to find out if it's working properly now. I'm not sure if they've changed anything, but I recommend going into the settings for each disk and in the ? (don't remember the term) additional parameters? putting in '-m root'. This tells smartd to send an email to root if there's an error. Make sure you also set an address for the root account (gmail or whatever). Ripping out a cable to see if you can get it to send an email doesn't seem to work (or hasn't so far).

anthony

Dabbler
Looked at the smartd man page and it talks about the '-m root -M test' command line options that as is described "To test that email is being sent correctly, use the '-M test' Directive described below to send one test email message on smartd startup." Tried user "root", "root@localhost", and then finally my email address used in root profile and it finally worked with my email address (used in the root profile).

This is what the email message looks like from the test.

SMART error (EmailTest) detected on host: freenas.local
--snip
This email was generated by the smartd daemon running on:

host name: freenas.local
DNS domain: [Unknown]
NIS domain:

The following warning/error was logged by the smartd daemon:

this following line is the subject lines for the two emails that I got

--snip
TEST EMAIL from smartd for device: /dev/ada0
--snip

--snip
TEST EMAIL from smartd for device: /dev/ada0
--snip

For details see host's SYSLOG.
--snip

and for the second drive the body of the email looked like as follows:

--snip
This email was generated by the smartd daemon running on:

host name: freenas.local
DNS domain: [Unknown]
NIS domain:

The following warning/error was logged by the smartd daemon:

TEST EMAIL from smartd for device: /dev/ada1

For details see host's SYSLOG.
--snip

Thanks for the suggestion. I hope that I don't see any problems anytime soon but it sure will be nice to know to replace the drive if there is an issue.

anthony

Dabbler
I only get an email notification if I restart the smartd service. If I reboot, it's likely that the mail services are not working yet when smartd comes up and the mail message does not get queued to go out. I'm thinking with the current configuration it should report an error if an error occurs but I don't expect any email messages for successful runs of the the smart tests.

Status
Not open for further replies.