FreeNas 9.2.0 RC not sending any mail notification

Status
Not open for further replies.

goerz

Dabbler
I recently upgraded via web GUI from 8.3.0 fo Freenas 9.2.0 RC and I lost all email functions. With the older version, I received daily reports, now I'm not receiving anything anymore. Even the UPS service has stopped emailing me notification of power shortage, which is particularly worrisome for me. The root email has been set, and when I click the "Send test email" button I regularly receive the test message in a few seconds.
What could I do to get my email notifications back? Has this function been removed from the newer versions of Freenas?
Thanks,
goerz

cyberjock

Inactive Account
@jkh: You can take this one sir!

survive

Behold the Wumpus
Hi goerz,

Check the readme for 9.2. I think they stopped sending the daily mails because day-after-day of mails saying "it's all OK!" might lead you to gloss over the e-mail that warns you about something.

-Will

goerz

Dabbler
T
Hi goerz,

Check the readme for 9.2. I think they stopped sending the daily mails because day-after-day of mails saying "it's all OK!" might lead you to gloss over the e-mail that warns you about something.

-Will

Thanks a lot for your answer. Is there a way to enable the daily reports? And what about the UPS service, has mail notification been disabled too? I found extremely useful receiving an email whenever my system went on battery. I also have an other issue with Freenas 9.2.0, I don't know if it's related though. I get this error message, with a frequency of 10 minutes, from the jail I have created to run transmission:

myjail_1 sendmail[1234]: NOQUEUE: SYSERR(operator): cannot chdir(/var/spool/clientmqueue/) permission denied

Has it anything to do with the email notification system? How do I get rid of it?
Thanks,
goerz

goerz

Dabbler
Emails were broken in 9.2.0 RC2 (https://bugs.freenas.org/issues/3693). Upgrade to 9.2.0 RELEASE.

Thanks for your message. I upgraded to 9.2.0 Release and I got two notifications email, a daily run output and a security run output. The daily run output seems a shortened version of the email I used to get with the older versions of Freenas:

Backup passwd and group files:
no /var/backups/master.passwd.bak
no /var/backups/group.bak

Verifying group file syntax:
/etc/group is fine

Checking status of 3ware RAID controllers:
Alarms (most recent first):
+++ /var/log/3ware_raid_alarms.today 2013-12-23 03:01:01.000000000 +0100
@@ -0,0 +1 @@
+

-- End of daily output --

The security output is much shorter:

No /var/log/mount.today

No /var/log/pf.today

No /var/log/dmesg.today

-- End of security output --

I was under the impression that those daily messages were disabled in Freenas 9.2.0, but apparently that's not the case. I also tested the UPS service and I received an email notification correctly when the power went off, so it seems everything is fine now: upgrading to the release version did the trick.
Thanks,
goerz

Dusan

Guru
They are disabled. This is the initial e-mail that gets generated at the first periodic run as it creates the today files. It should not e-mail you in the next days (unless there's a problem).

Status
Not open for further replies.