Gender options in profile

Status
Not open for further replies.

kyle_poe

Cadet
I was about to start building out my profile, when I saw this

1635296046259.png

While having no selection available as an option is better than the simple binary, it was disappointing to find a lack of other options for our LGBTQIA+ friends. I do not attribute this to any malice on the part of the website designers, but in light of currently accepted ideas on the topic I believe it should be reassessed. I think this article does a good job of summing up what comprises good options. As a part of this, adding explicit pronoun preference would be welcome.

My specific suggestion is:
  • Expand gender options to include non-binary, transgender, intersex, and custom.
  • Add pronoun preference
I hope you consider and do implement this, as it will help the--statistically many--LGBTQIA+ individuals in this community feel more at home.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Or just remove the option completely. This is a technical help forum not a social media hangout.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Or just remove the option completely. This is a technical help forum not a social media hangout.

Or a dating service. Nobody here should really care about your junk. (Unless you're referring to your NAS as junk. Then we're curious about your junk.)

I'd be happy to be rid of it.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Gone. Although I did do a screen capture if it is decided by those above my head that it must be restored.

Thank you. For anyone who is desperate to provide details on their gender, ethnicity, religion, politics, preferred pronouns, etc., my suggestion is to not, but if you must, your profile does iinclude a section called "About You" if you go into your profile, under "Settings", and "Account Details", and you may of course post details about yourself there, subject to normal forum rules.

This seems fitting, as this is a technical forum, and our focus should be on making NAS's work well.

Status
Not open for further replies.