FYI: Kingston no longer listing 8GB modules for most Supermicro X10 motherboards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Z300M

Guru
Almost two weeks ago (the day after I ordered two KVR16E11/8EF modules to go with a new Supermicro X10SL7-F motherboard), Kingston removed all 8GB modules (not just the "Server Premier" but their "vanilla" ones too) from their list of recommendations for that motherboard.

On further checking today, I see that the only X10-series motherboards for which those KVR16E11/8EF modules are recommended are the X10SLL-S and the X10SLL-SF.

I didn't check, but I assume that any of Supermicro's "off-the-shelf" servers that use those motherboards are affected too.

Supermicro's own recommendations for the X10SL7-F are specific models of Hynix or Samsung RAM.

Sir.Robin

Guru
Yeah, they really aught to publish a f***ing explanation about it instead of just beeing childish and silent. :mad:

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Yeah, they really aught to publish a f***ing explanation about it instead of just beeing childish and silent. :mad:

Yeah, right. They probably have some kind of no-disclosure clause in some contract they both agree to. One company probably made a mistake, and neither company is going to say a word. :(

Durandal

Explorer
I think that Kingston has just changed the RAM circuit supplier for the 8 GB-modules that the X10 series are using. Normally they remove compatibility if the change supplier, re-validate the modules and then add it again to the compatible sheet.

Z300M

Guru
I think that Kingston has just changed the RAM circuit supplier for the 8 GB-modules that the X10 series are using. Normally they remove compatibility if the change supplier, re-tries the modules and then add it again to the compatible sheet.
But Kingston used to have two separate lines of RAM that they recommended for these boards: the "Server Premier" line (modules with an "EF" suffix apparently using Elpida chips) and a more "vanilla" line for which I could see no indication of the chip manufacturer. What could have happened that they removed the 8GB versions of both of these from the compatibility list? And keep in mind that Kingston still recommends these same 8GB modules for the X10SLL-S and X10SLL-SF, which use the same Intel chipset as the X10SL7-F.

It doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.

Durandal

Explorer
But Kingston used to have two separate lines of RAM that they recommended for these boards: the "Server Premier" line (modules with an "EF" suffix apparently using Elpida chips) and a more "vanilla" line for which I could see no indication of the chip manufacturer. What could have happened that they removed the 8GB versions of both of these from the compatibility list? And keep in mind that Kingston still recommends these same 8GB modules for the X10SLL-S and X10SLL-SF, which use the same Intel chipset as the X10SL7-F.

That is strange. I have had problems myself with 2 Kingston modules on my X10SLM-F and i'm currently running 3 modules with good results so i'm following this thread/issue with interest. Would be a shame if the X10 series motherboard could not use 32 GB RAM with these modules or 64 GB in the future.

Z300M

Guru
That is strange. I have had problems myself with 2 Kingston modules on my X10SLM-F and i'm currently running 3 modules with good results so i'm following this thread/issue with interest. Would be a shame if the X10 series motherboard could not use 32 GB RAM with these modules or 64 GB in the future.
Kingston advertises a lifetime warranty on their RAM, so if you have problems you should try for a warranty replacement -- but if they're no longer recommending those modules for that board, what will they do? Send you more of the same modules? Refund your money?

64GB? I didn't know that the chipset in the X10 boards was capable of supporting 64GB of RAM: 32GB is the maximum shown for any of those boards. And, from what I have read, 16GB modules are typically "registered," which are a whole different animal and would be incompatible with these motherboards.

crumbz

Explorer
I have had problems myself with 2 Kingston modules on my X10SLM-F

How do you notice these problems?

I'm running with Kingston RAM on my X10SL7-F and I want to know if these problems/errors are silent or if I'm going to notice when something is wrong (and before data is corrupted).

Durandal

Explorer
How do you notice these problems?

I'm running with Kingston RAM on my X10SL7-F and I want to know if these problems/errors are silent or if I'm going to notice when something is wrong (and before data is corrupted).

I don't know if these problems will apply to all X10 motherboards (probably not) but i had problems booting the board, and sometimes the BIOS just hung. I could install software, but it behaved very strange. I ran MemTest86 and found out only 1 module caused the problems, so i switched it out for a new one. The new one worked perfectly, and since i had the old module i tried with 3 modules - which has worked perfectly for about 3 months. I ran MemTest86 in the 3-module configuration for about 3 days before starting to use it. I don't know what caused this but i think it's maybe problems with some configurations and dual channel. I have not tried with 4x8 GB yet, since there's so much talk of this configuration is not working.

DJABE

Contributor
Very bad.... I usually don't take into account HCL's that much, but in this server-grade thing perhaps I should consider
Crucial 16GB DDR3 Kit
SKU: CT2KIT102472BD1339
@Durandal: I'll stick that RAM into SuperMicro X10-SLM-F, same as yours :)

Z300M

Guru

Aha! I just realized: the X10SLL-S and X10SLL-SF have only two UDIMM slots, so the problem with four RAM modules could not arise.

DJABE

Contributor
Correct, you can't get above 16 GB with that :)
That's why I decided to go away from Kingston and order CRUCIAL -> take a look on their site they state which modules are 100% compatible with our SM boards!

Z300M

Guru
Correct, you can't get above 16 GB with that :)
That's why I decided to go away from Kingston and order CRUCIAL -> take a look on their site they state which modules are 100% compatible with our SM boards!
No Crucial modules on Supermicro's Tested Memory list either -- only Hynix and Samsung.

DJABE

Contributor
Yes, but they are on Crucial's list... just like Kingston modules were listed on Kingston's list before.

I think Crucial should be considered serious with such claims that their specific listed modules are 100% compatible with X10 (X10SLM-F to be precise) MOBO's... I guess they really do the testing.

Z300M

Guru
Yes, but they are on Crucial's list... just like Kingston modules were listed on Kingston's list before.

I thing Crucial should be considered serious with such claims that their specific listed modules are 100% compatible with X10 (X10SLM-F to be precise) MOBO's... I guess they really do the testing.
I just checked on the Crucial Web site: for both the X10SLM-F and the X10SL7-F the first suggestion is a 24GB kit (3 x 8GB modules); then if I click "Show all compatible computer memory" I see two different 16GB kits (2 x 8GB modules) and two different 8GB kits (2 x 4GB modules) -- not one 32GB kit (4 x 8GB modules).

Kingston also claimed that their modules had been certified as compatible by some independent lab.

Caveat emptor.

DJABE

Contributor
Yes, but they do not state that you can't buy two 16 GB kits (32 GB total). If the same issue with 32 GB of RAM would exist, then I guess the only one to blame would be SM and/or Intel with a faulty chipset! It would be great to test that combo!

jgreco

Resident Grinch
No Crucial modules on Supermicro's Tested Memory list either -- only Hynix and Samsung.

It is worth noting that Supermicro doesn't appear to do extensive testing but rather just tests to make sure that the board meets spec and can interoperate with common memory, for which they give you the part numbers.

This is probably reasonable given that memory manufacturers are constantly tweaking and changing their products. The Kingston incompatibility here appears to affect more than just Supermicro. I've got an ASRock Avoton board here that hates 4x Kingston 8GB DDR3-1600's.

Given that you can easily find the Supermicro tested parts at fairly reasonable prices, consider that any deals you might get on Crucial or Kingston might not end up costing less once you factor in it not working and you needing to pay return shipping and the frustration and the delay and whatnot.

Z300M

Guru
Almost two weeks ago (the day after I ordered two KVR16E11/8EF modules to go with a new Supermicro X10SL7-F motherboard), Kingston removed all 8GB modules (not just the "Server Premier" but their "vanilla" ones too) from their list of recommendations for that motherboard.

On further checking today, I see that the only X10-series motherboards for which those KVR16E11/8EF modules are recommended are the X10SLL-S and the X10SLL-SF.

I didn't check, but I assume that any of Supermicro's "off-the-shelf" servers that use those motherboards are affected too.

Supermicro's own recommendations for the X10SL7-F are specific models of Hynix or Samsung RAM.
Update: Searching at Newegg.com for the 8GB "Server Premier" module (KVR16E11/8EF) now results in a "not available" message. Searching for it on the Kingston Web site now shows it as "discontinued" and replaced by the KVR16E11/8KF (K for Kingston rather than E for Elpida) -- but even that is not listed as compatible with the Supermicro X10 boards.

DJABE

Contributor
Given that you can easily find the Supermicro tested parts at fairly reasonable prices, consider that any deals you might get on Crucial or Kingston might not end up costing less once you factor in it not working and you needing to pay return shipping and the frustration and the delay and whatnot.

That's not true if you live in Europe! Even in Germany you cannot find that easily the two brands Supermicro listed as compatible.

Well, so who's to blame for such a situation?! Memory manufactures or Supermicro (or any manufacturer who thinks testing TWO brands and THREE module parts is enough)?

I repeat, with desktop boards and nonECC memory for 15+ years I haven't had any single issue. Ever!

But ok, I'll see what will happen with SM X10 series and 2x 8 GB Crucial (listed officialy, well if they lie I just don't know what to do..)

They state: Guaranteed-compatible with the Supermicro X10SLM-F
Part Number: CT2KIT102472BD160B
  • Module Size: 16GB kit (8GBx2)
  • Package: 240-pin DIMM
  • Feature: DDR3 PC3-12800
  • Specs: DDR3 PC3-12800 • CL=11 • Unbuffered • ECC • DDR3-1600 • 1.35V • 1024Meg x 72 •

DJABE

Contributor
QUESTION: "Please note: The qualified 1.35V DDR3 will operate at 1.5V"
This sentence is listed on SM site for X10 boards. What does it mean, that my 1.35V modules will operate at 1.5V, so it will generate more heat then expected and they could suffer damage due to overvolatage?

I just don't get it - does this mean X10 series DOES NOT support 1.35V low voltage modules??

Status
Not open for further replies.