From (old!) 9.2.1.7 to TrueNas 12.0-U1 directly??

Graounest

Cadet
Hey Guys,

I'm pretty new to FreeNas environment!

I managed to get an old config back from someone, which has been built in 2014 and hasn't quite changed since then.

I managed to include this FreeNas into my home local network successfully and everything works pretty good.

I now want to use the full abilities of my NAS to set a Virtual Machine in order to run my domotic Home Assistant server (which is currently running on a vm on my main laptop).

This old NAS configuration is 9.2.1.7 and the web GUI offers no automatic updates.

So I was looking for some information here https://www.ixsystems.com/documentation/freenas/11.3-U5/install.html#initial-preparation

And I understand that the best way is to boot from the latest iso... Which is 11.3-U5 !!

Do you reckon that's a good idea? Or is the gap way too big, and you guys would recommand going steps by steps perhaps?

Btw I realized that 11.3-U5 (Freenas actually) is legacy and now it seems that the latest "real" maintened product is TrueNas

In the same vein : would you recommand upgrading (as in : booting from the latest iso) from 9.2.1.7 to trueNas 12.0-U1 directly?

Many thanks in advance for your wise advices!!

Graou

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Do you reckon that's a good idea? Or is the gap way too big,
The gap is way too big, unless you don't have any complex configuration. If you have basically nothing configured besides a storage pool, it might work.
Please tell us more about your setup, as it is now, so we can give you some better direction.

Graounest

Cadet
Hi Chris, and many thanks for taking care of my questions.

Here are some details

I'm running on version
FreeNAS-9.2.1.7-RELEASE-x64 (fdbe9a0)

No particular settings apart from a SSL certificate defined (I didn't changed it importing this "old" nas to my local network).

I have 3 NTP servers defined 0.freebsd.pool.ntp.org 1.freebsd.pool.ntp.org 2.freebsd.pool.ntp.org

I have 3 S.M.A.R.T tests defined, on 3 out of 4 disks (ada0, ada1 and ada3)

I have one "network interface" defined corresponding to my internet box providing access to internet and also acting as my main router (my NAS is directly connected to it in ethernet)

As for accounts and users : that is where importing this initial setup and including it to my local network, I did some cleaning work and for noiw I only have one groupe defined (Guests) and one more user (which has a name, is in the main group "wheel" and has many rights as owner and group. No SSH public key, and has Guest as a secondary group.

As fort volumes now : I have 3 main /mnt volumes :
/mnt/Volume1 including unix permissions definition and which has 4 sub mount : one jail, Media (movies, music), Private and Public
/mnt/Volume2 with some backup datas
/mnt/sauvegardes/ with some other saves/backuped files and photos mainly

I have then 3 cleaning ZFS tasks defined for those 3 mounts, defined on the first day of each month of the year.
No replication tasks nor snapshots defined.

I have 5 CIFS windows share deifnition : one for Media, Private, Public, sauvegardes and Volume2 --> each of those are browsing to their corresponding folder on the volumes, with guest acces and reachable from local network definition and I added some (local) IP's corresponding to some PC from my home.

As for services : I only enabled CIFS, FTP (but no use for me actually since I tried many things before managing to get propet local windows network access) SMART and ssh (so that I can reach my NAS via Putty or FileZila for instance). Not quite useful actually because no that samba access (CIFS?) are up and running I don't use putty or FZ anymore.
Nothing particular : CIFS service runs with "SMB3" server maximum protocol defined.

No modules

I have one jail defined, used for a mini_dnla, pointing on /mnt/Volume1/Media

I'm pretty sure I have a quite simple and basic configuration. My main concern is obviously not to loose any datas on partitions (knowing that I don't have any other easy way to backup them , if that was the case I'd have started from scratch with a brand new fresh install).

I can provide you with many more infos I needed! Thanks again for taking time to help me!

Graou