Upgrade 9.2.1.7 to 9.3 question

Status
Not open for further replies.

elkstreet

Cadet
I'm currently running 9.2.1.7 from a USB stick. Reading the upgrade documentation says I can upgrade via the GUI (but I don't have a System->Upgrade menu). I downloaded the .iso file but am confused. Do I burn it to a NEW memory stick or to the one that is currently running? If I overwrite the old one, won't I lose all my config?

I am admittedly confused!

D

dlavigne

You won't have that menu until you're on 9.3. Read the upgrading from the gui section from the Guide that matches your version of FreeNAS.

elkstreet

Cadet
You won't have that menu until you're on 9.3. Read the upgrading from the gui section from the Guide that matches your version of FreeNAS.
OK, that much I get. I did read the upgrade instructions about using the .iso, but I am still not clear: do I re-use my existing USB and overwrite it, or do I use a new one?

Secondly, once I boot with the 9.3 USB it asks where I want to install the OS. Do I install it to the 9.3 USB stick that is booted or do I used another USB stick?

sysfu

Explorer
I was able to to upgrade from 9.2 to 9.3 using the GUI, so the ISO should not be necessary in all cases.

sysfu

Explorer
I applied every single update within a few days of it coming out. The only area I ran into issues was applying some of the 9.3-Beta updates. That was resolved be deleting unused boot environments which freed up the necessary space on the 4GB USB system drive.

diedrichg

Wizard

stranger

Dabbler
Would it not be a safer upgrade to take a backup of the 9.2 installation and install 9.3 fresh on the stick. finally restoring the backed-up db to the fresh install?

diedrichg

Wizard
Yes, that is a sound solution. That will be my upgrade path once 9.3 gets fleshed out a little more. I plan to do exactly as you mentioned.

Status
Not open for further replies.