TrueNAS 12-U1 - ShadowCopies not showing up in Windows 7

Scharbag

Guru
Just took the plunge to TrueNAS 12-U1 from FreeNAS 11.3-U5. It was less than awesome. Old jails had some issue... Mono version issues... Ended up rebuilding everything... But I digress.

Another item that is causing me a bit of grief is now all of my Windows 7 machines cannot see any previous versions when I browse to that tab. These used to work perfectly in FreeNAS 11.3-U5. This is also a feature that I really kinda like!

It also seems that I need to do some learning about ACLs... My system has been a work in progress starting on FreeNAS 9. So I am sure I have some less than stellar permissions etc...

Anywhoo, not sure why I can no longer access previous versions from my windows machines. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Just took the plunge to TrueNAS 12-U1 from FreeNAS 11.3-U5. It was less than awesome. Old jails had some issue... Mono version issues... Ended up rebuilding everything... But I digress.

Another item that is causing me a bit of grief is now all of my Windows 7 machines cannot see any previous versions when I browse to that tab. These used to work perfectly in FreeNAS 11.3-U5. This is also a feature that I really kinda like!

It also seems that I need to do some learning about ACLs... My system has been a work in progress starting on FreeNAS 9. So I am sure I have some less than stellar permissions etc...

Anywhoo, not sure why I can no longer access previous versions from my windows machines. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Can you PM me a debug? I tested against Server 2016/2019 and smbclient, but not against Windows 7.

Scharbag

Guru
Can you PM me a debug? I tested against Server 2016/2019 and smbclient, but not against Windows 7.
I will do so this morning.

Scharbag

Guru

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Thank you for the link - my google-foo must have been off yesterday because I did not find that thread. Arguably, I was le tired from rebuilding all of my jails - but it means I now have a clean slate I guess:D

Cheers,
Issue was with migration from 11.3->12.0. If there's a combination of vfs objects set by the user that doesn't map cleanly into the new types in the GUI, they get dumped into the auxiliary parameters field. This effectively turned off shadow copies.

Scharbag

Guru
Issue was with migration from 11.3->12.0. If there's a combination of vfs objects set by the user that doesn't map cleanly into the new types in the GUI, they get dumped into the auxiliary parameters field. This effectively turned off shadow copies.
Thank you for the help.

Cheers,

ude6

Dabbler
I see
Code:
vfs objects = zfs_space zfsacl streams_xattr

in my parameters section. Should I delete these?

ude6

tonci

Dabbler
Yes, that solved my TN12-U3 problem too .... I tested "new share" on the same dataset (w/o those attributes above (by default)) and previous versions showed up instantly ..... thanks to anodos !

FJep

Dabbler
Updated from 11.3U5 to 12U3 and also had to remove
vfs objects = zfs_space zfsacl streams_xattr
in Advanced Options / Auxiliary parameters (Erweiterte Optionen / Hilfsparameter)
to make previous versions work again in Windows 10.

Thanks for the Tipp.