Freenas won't boot after attempted update to 11.3 from 11.2

therealpure

Dabbler
UPDATE:

After re-flashing the USB stick I was able to recover to 11.2. I then restored the configuration and can see my files and pool, etc. What does seem to be missing is a jail. Do jails not get recovered?

%%%

Hi,

I have a HP Proliant server box with 16 GB RAM, 4 HDD and a USB stick with Freenas OS on.

This has been working well for me for sometime. I tried to upgrade to 11.3 and the system stopped responding over my LAN.

I have a backup of the config file so should be fine to recover.

So I re-flashed the freenasOS on the usb stick and on booting now with a monitor connected it can see all the drives, as it boots if gets to a point were it says

Error: no such column: lagg_deviceoptions Error: no such column: stg_guiprotocol moddlewared: setting up plugins (alert) [6/17]

Then it just hangs on this line. Any ideas for getting the system up and running again?

I am going to try and reflash the USB stick off a install USB stick to see if that helps.

Last edited:

G8One2

Patron
I cant speak directly to your issue because i really dont know. I never had much luck using USB sticks for my OS. It would always do weird things. Worked when it wanted to. Pretty much went to SataDOM because of it.

Redcoat

MVP
UPDATE:

After re-flashing the USB stick I was able to recover to 11.2. I then restored the configuration and can see my files and pool, etc. What does seem to be missing is a jail. Do jails not get recovered?
@waqarahmed - is this another example?

@therealpure, you may be another example of an issue that the devs are currently looking in to under the Jira bug tracking system. @waqarahmed is the involved engineer.

blueether

Patron
Do a search on going back from 11.3 and jails, I think I remember something about not being able just boot an old enviroment...

waqarahmed

iXsystems
iXsystems
@therealpure can you please create a ticket at https://jira.ixsystems.com and attach a debug from 11.2 version of FreeNAS. With that, can you also please press "ctrl + c" when middlewared gets stuck on boot ( on 11.3 ) and the system would continue booting then. Once it has booted, please create a debug with the following command
ixdiagnose -d /root/ixdiagnose -s -F -p
Once this is complete, kindly attach /root/ixdiagnose/ixdiagnose.tgz compressed file as well in the ticket.

We have not seen this issue before and it likely seems a failed update. We can know more once we have the relevant data. Thank you