FreeNAS WebGUI becomes inaccessible after setting up disks/shares.

Sovereign

Cadet
Hello,

I am a newer FreeNAS user and I use it on a Dell R710 for my VM Shares using NFS. The problem that I keep having is that after I have everything setup and I am configuring, the WebGUI will become hung. I use the Shell on the server directly to restart the nginx and django services and it rarely helps as the WebGUI just seems to lose connection to the browser. I'm not savvy enough to use the shell to configure everything so it's kind of a need for me. What could be causing this problem? I use a static IP address that I know is not being used on my network, I even setup a secondary NIC with another IP and the problem still happens. Any advice?

Also if this is the wrong board I apologize, I didn't know where else to put it.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
I even setup a secondary NIC with another IP and the problem still happens. Any advice?
You should not use two network adapters on the same network.

Sovereign

Cadet
The only reason I am using 2 NICs is I thought the NFS Fileshare was using all the bandwidth and making the GUI inaccessible. I was also doing this so the Web GUI and the actual SMB/NFS Shares I have setup use different IP addresses.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
The only reason I am using 2 NICs is I thought the NFS Fileshare was using all the bandwidth and making the GUI inaccessible. I was also doing this so the Web GUI and the actual SMB/NFS Shares I have setup use different IP addresses.
Not unreasonable, but if the bindings are not exclusive, it can create a problem. What can and does happen: the NAS receives traffic on one NIC say ix0. The application or service then decides to reply, but it does not check which interface it received the data on only which network, so it sends data to that network. Sometimes it will pick the correct interface ix0 and sometimes it will send data on ix1 and the client application will never receive the reply because it is expecting the reply from a different address, the one for ix0. It can cause data to get lost.

What web browser are you using with your NAS?

Sovereign

Cadet
Firefox/Chrome it does the same thing on both browsers, that's what lead me to it being an network issue. I also can't seem to mount the NFS Shares to my ESXi Host now. So I'll have to reset everything and try again. >.<

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Not unreasonable, but if the bindings are not exclusive, it can create a problem. What can and does happen: the NAS receives traffic on one NIC say ix0. The application or service then decides to reply, but it does not check which interface it received the data on only which network, so it sends data to that network. Sometimes it will pick the correct interface ix0 and sometimes it will send data on ix1 and the client application will never receive the reply because it is expecting the reply from a different address, the one for ix0. It can cause data to get lost.

What web browser are you using with your NAS?
That's actually not how multiple nics on a network function. The client will get all the replies it just won't go out the interface you expect. It will choose an interface based off the metric value. Most people will see zero issues with having multiple nics on the same network.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
That's actually not how multiple nics on a network function. The client will get all the replies it just won't go out the interface you expect. It will choose an interface based off the metric value. Most people will see zero issues with having multiple nics on the same network.
With each having a different IP address?

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
With each having a different IP address?
Yep

It's not a correct setup, but it will work. You also run the risk of creating a loop in the network if you're using jails with vnet.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Yep

It's not a correct setup, but it will work. You also run the risk of creating a loop in the network if you're using jails with vnet.
So, no problem, except for the problems.