FreeNAS vs. NAS4free

Status
Not open for further replies.

g:String

Cadet
Hi, all.
Can you compare FreeNAS vs. NAS4free and tell me what are the differences to me as a user?
Thanks

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Not really. We don't use NAS4free. You are welcome to do your own research in the topic though.

g:String

Cadet
Thank you.
I do not wish to step into a dispute, but I think there might be some here who had some experience with both or understand enough. Maybe someone can answer me in a dispassionate way?
I'm interested to know, in a layman terms if possible about different features, stability, security - whatever you can tell me and might make a difference to me.
For instance, I think I gathered that FreeNAS doesn't have a built in file-manager and NAS4Free do not have convenient plug-in architecture.
Thanks!

russnas

Contributor
have you tried nas4free?, im running it via vmware fusion to get familiar with the GUI, the only major difference was that freenas was running a older freebsd version, i havent done any hdd performance to stabilty checks.

nas4free has less ram requirements but you will need the same hardware to get the same performance

freenas has better user interface and design

i was curious as i jumped onto freenas without any prior knowledge outside win/mac but freenas has been great so i dont want to stuff up my files playing around.

the only issue i see is that users had problems with their hardware on 8.3 so they switched

see this image (freenas 8.3)

2mcf136.jpg

joeschmuck

Old Man
I think the best way to find out about stability and security, etc... is to read the FreeNAS and NAS4Free forums and see what complaints come out. Check out the bug reports as well. If you are looking for a decent NAS for home use, either one is fine. Both can also be used for a small office. I do not know how well either would scale up to an office with say 100 users but you would need the right equipment to handle reasonable throughput for everyone no matter which OS you used.

Status
Not open for further replies.