FreeNAS & TrueNAS Plans - 2020 and Beyond!

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Besides the ZoL addition to TrueNAS 12 - is there any FreeBSD 12 fundamental changes which will be useful? Or signficiant?

I know that there's apparently some Bhyve changes?
For SMB users a couple of things that are useful:
- Long mountpoint names are supported (in some edge cases with long / nested datasets shadow copy restore would fail with ENAMETOOLONG). This is fixed in FBSD 12.
- Samba changes (TrueNAS-specific), new libtevent backend based on kqueue and new AIO. Appears to be significantly more performant (but it's new so I'm still fixing bugs as I find them).
- I moved removed a lot of string manipulations from shadow_copy_zfs, and added some optimizations. For example, struct smb_fname was expanded to also store snapshot data so that operations inside the module are simpler.

diskdiddler

Wizard
- Samba changes (TrueNAS-specific), new libtevent backend based on kqueue and new AIO. Appears to be significantly more performant (but it's new so I'm still fixing bugs as I find them).

Due to renaming the product, this is now difficult to identify if you mean TrueNAS TrueNAS or FreeNAS (TrueNAS)

Yorick

Wizard
It’s literally the same code base. He means TrueNAS. With or without an Enterprise license applied.

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
Better to say TrueNAS 12.0... its more technically clear... applies to CORE or Enterprise.

Will the enterprise features still be closed source? Or if they're not closed source, how do you prevent people from just building the enterprise version from source code, and bypassing the licensing code?

I'm certainly not planning on doing this, I'm just curious. I'm just getting started with FreeNAS for home use, and am thrilled with the free version!

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
Will the enterprise features still be closed source? Or if they're not closed source, how do you prevent people from just building the enterprise version from source code, and bypassing the licensing code?
The Free version (TrueNAS Core) will remain exactly like FreeNAS in terms of licensing, hardware and availability (no need to build, but you can do that). No enterprise features available in this build.

The other version (TrueNAS Enterprise) will only be supported to run on the iX supplied hardware with the appropriate licenses and keys (also just like the current situation).

The Free version (TrueNAS Core) will remain exactly like FreeNAS in terms of licensing, hardware and availability (no need to build, but you can do that). No enterprise features available in this build.

The other version (TrueNAS Enterprise) will only be supported to run on the iX supplied hardware with the appropriate licenses and keys (also just like the current situation).

Thank you, although that doesn't actually answer my question. Let me try asking it in a different way.

If I were to build from the publicly available source code from scratch, and buy a license key, would the enterprise features work in my build?

Yorick

Wizard
As far as I know, the intent is to tie license keys to ixSystems hardware, at least for now.
Thank you. My question could probably be best answered by someone who works for ixSystems, or somebody who has built the source code from scratch. It is a purely academic question. If source code to the enterprise features were open source, what prevents someone from building there own enterprise version, just by removing the license check code?

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Thank you. My question could probably be best answered by someone who works for ixSystems, or somebody who has built the source code from scratch. It is a purely academic question. If source code to the enterprise features were open source, what prevents someone from building there own enterprise version, just by removing the license check code?

The fact that you don't have the hardware to run it on...?

ornias

Wizard

Technically speaking all the code is opensource.

- The HA enterprise features require a special controller (co-)developed by IX-systems. While I expect the actual protocol might be pretty close to some other aftermarket solutions (as devs don't go reinvent the wheel), it's not something you are going to copy all-of-a-sudden

- The FC features might be possible to get working with some hacks to have the enterprise code accept your own controller. But even so: You could just as well run the current hacks to get FC running.

If there are any not-hardware-bound features, those would ofc. be easily circumvented by a custom build without licence checks.

Technically speaking all the code is opensource.

- The HA enterprise features require a special controller (co-)developed by IX-systems. While I expect the actual protocol might be pretty close to some other aftermarket solutions (as devs don't go reinvent the wheel), it's not something you are going to copy all-of-a-sudden

- The FC features might be possible to get working with some hacks to have the enterprise code accept your own controller. But even so: You could just as well run the current hacks to get FC running.

If there are any not-hardware-bound features, those would ofc. be easily circumvented by a custom build without licence checks.
Thanks all. I wasn't understanding that the enterprise features are dependent on additional hardware.

techexec

Cadet
FreeBSD 12.1 already. Your devs are tracking RELENG_12, not RELENG_12_0 :wink:
Another reason I would have liked to see Freebsd 12.1 used as base is for the support of Marvell / Aquantia 10 Gb NIC. Drivers are included in 12.1 but not 12.0. These NIC cards are almost 1/3 the price of equivalent Intel X550 cards.

danb35

Hall of Famer
nother reason I would have liked to see Freebsd 12.1 used as base
I think you're missing the point of Patrick's post. The base is 12.1, not 12.0.

techexec

Cadet
I think you're missing the point of Patrick's post. The base is 12.1, not 12.0.
As I understand it, Truenas Core is using Freebsd 12 base. I have already confirmed that it doesn't support Aquantia network cards.

TrueNAS-12.0-BETA is based on FreeBSD 12.1

Code:
freenas-vm# uname -a
FreeBSD freenas-vm.local 12.1-STABLE FreeBSD 12.1-STABLE 3ef17902a90(HEAD) TRUENAS  amd64

freenas-vm# freebsd-version
12.1-STABLE

freenas-vm# cat /etc/version
TrueNAS-12.0-BETA (539ec50263)

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
If there is a missing driver, please file a bug report and post the issue number here.

danb35

Hall of Famer