FreeNAS, omnios, nas4free, which is more suitable for video editing applications?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bianjunyi

Dabbler
I have a question to ask the same hardware conditions, freeans software and omnios which is more suitable for video processing, avid, fcpx, EDIUS and so on? I heard that archion nas performance is better, I want to build a nas for video editing work,Who has the better advice?

joeschmuck

Old Man
I think the important thing to focus on is the interface to the NAS. If you are using 1Gb Ethernet then that is too slow and your limitation. FreeNAS can saturate 10Gb Ethernet as well.

bianjunyi

Dabbler
I think the important thing to focus on is the interface to the NAS. If you are using 1Gb Ethernet then that is too slow and your limitation. FreeNAS can saturate 10Gb Ethernet as well.
Yes, but see archion official introduction performance is really attractive.
  • Up to 4000 MB/sec of bandwidth for 4K video and 4K raw playback (without the need for a 2nd EditStor chassis)
  • Up to 1500 MB/sec with EditStor EO for 2K video
  • 1000 MB/sec over a10GigE direct client connections (up to 16)
  • Contiguous data flow with low fragmentation with for 4K DPX

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
A NAS is accessed over the network. Video editing is not done on the NAS. I have no idea what Archion is, but you seem to be comparing different things.

With a NAS, there will be a few factors to consider:
Disk speed:
-This could mean fast disks or special considerations to how they are arranged in RAID arrays, volumes, or VDEVs
Network speed

What you are comparing to appears to be a preconfigured box that is designed for video editing?

Any NAS can be "suitable for video editing" if you spec it out correctly and build it right.

joeschmuck

Old Man
So I just looked up Archion Technologies and the OP is comparing preconfigured NAS solutions to FreeNAS.

Let me stop you there... FreeNAS is not a preconfigured system and requires a lot of work/reading to properly setup for obtaining a high throughput system similar to the Archion system. It's not too difficult if you have enough money to buy all the proper hardware and do all the required reading to setup the system properly. Additionally you could contact iXsystems to see what they can come up with in a TrueNAS system.

But if you have a specific requirement and you find a product which meets your needs, in business then it's likely a good investment if that company stands by thier product. FreeNAS in my book is not a comercial product even though I know it is being used in that capacity. You would need to have someone fully trained in FreeNAS to ensure your system is maintained properly.

bianjunyi

Dabbler
Yes, I want to use on the video editing, some recommended by fiber SAN, some recommendations with NAS, they say SAN is much faster than the NAS on video processing, under the same rate of network. But the SAN architecture is somewhat complex, especially in a heterogeneous system environments.

bestboy

Contributor
Well, if you wanna go the SAN way FreeNAS can do iSCSI out-of-the-box.
Up to 4000 MB/sec of bandwidth for 4K video
But in order to get that throughput you'd need 40GbE. There are 40GbE adapters from Mellanox and Chelsio, but you need to check for driver support in FreeBSD 10.3/FreeNAS. They might very well be unsupported, since the commercial TrueNAS systems do not offer an 40GbE option yet.

But TBH if you are willing to pay for an Archion NAS you probably can also get in contact with iXsystem and ask what they can offer to in terms of "4000 MB/sec of bandwidth".

mav@

iXsystems
iXsystems
They might very well be unsupported, since the commercial TrueNAS systems do not offer an 40GbE option yet.

I've never used Mellanox (even though some drivers are included into FreeNAS), but Chelsio cards have officially supported FreeBSD drivers and work well on FreeNAS, at least T3, T4 and T5 families. Support for very recent Chelsio T6 family (25/100GbE) is already in FreeBSD head, probably not in FreeNAS yet, but should be at some point. Higher-end TrueNAS models do offer 40GbE options.

Looking at the Archion systems specifications, I'm sure that FreeNAS, well-configured, could meet your needs and probably at a substantial cost savings versus the Archion pre-built system.

That said, I'm not sure you have the resources available to build and maintain such a system. The reason FreeNAS is less expensive is that the owner does the engineering and personally takes the risk for meeting performance targets.

I suggest you look at off-the-shelf systems from a knowledgeable vendor.

Cheers,
Matt

wblock

Documentation Engineer
The Archion thing says: "File System with Journaling Support". Sounds like not ZFS, is what I'm saying.

bestboy

Contributor
[...] Chelsio cards have officially supported FreeBSD drivers and work well on FreeNAS, at least T3, T4 and T5 families. Support for very recent Chelsio T6 family (25/100GbE) is already in FreeBSD head, probably not in FreeNAS yet, but should be at some point.
Great, thanks for the clarification. I knew the 10GbE stuff has excellent support, but was not sure about the drivers for the even faster stuff (25/40/50/100GbE).

Higher-end TrueNAS models do offer 40GbE options.
Oh OK. My comment about not having 40GbE support for TrueNAS was simply based on the fact that the "network" column of the server builder does not list it. No harm intended.

Status
Not open for further replies.