TrueNAS configuration as Video editing server

wdp

Explorer
It is still available at the location posted by @dev_willis (see above).

Personally, I find this document disappointing. It is "lightweight" and more effort seems to have gone into the non-technical summary than the details. The details are somewhat wrong in that ZFS does not allow for a write cache per se, but a dedicated intent log (ZIL) on a separate and optimized device (SLOG). But I assume that the intended audience would be confused by that level of detail.

To make a general recommendation for a 2*RAIDZ1 pool for media is odd, given that the IOPS delivered from such a pool with HDDs will not be great. It may be ok as an archive location from an IOPS perspective, although in that case I would recommend RAIDZ2/3 for data safety.

Also, the jump between abstraction levels is huge. It starts by more or less an executive summary, and from there jumps directly into technical details. It would be better to provide guidance on how capacity planning is done on a conceptual level first. Then have 2-3 examples where a usage scenario is laid out in detail and translated into hardware.

I know this is a significant amount of work, but it would helpful from a sales perspective IMHO. At the end of the day most customers don't want to buy IT stuff per se but have their business problem solved; and for their buying decision they need reassurance that the vendor is capable and willing to do that.

Overall, I think this page is not helpful to anybody in its current form and wish iXsystem would overhaul or remove it.
Thanks for the information and feedback.

I was just looking for a resources on ZFS layouts and truenas configs for strictly video editing. Trying to learn as much as possible always.