FreeNAS - New build to replace QNAP

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is right in line with what I have in mind for a build myself. I've just been trying to finalize on a CPU/MB combo. I'm curious if you came across a more powerful yet still cost effective solution from a MB/CPU standpoint as I plan on running this with Plex and require ~5 concurrent transcoding streams.
Plex recommends 2000 PassMarks for every 1080p stream you are transcoding. Those Xeons are in the 10k range. I think you would both be great with the listed hardware. Supermicro is king around here, which makes Xeons the queen. Im building a second machine with an X10/Xeon E3v3 combo as we speak, and if I hadnt already had the board and RAM I would have built this very machine as well.

jdustinb

Cadet
That's what I was seeing regarding the passmark score, just wasn't sure if there was an older yet more powerful e5 (e.g. E5-1650 v2 - 25% more cost, 20% more perf) and similar MB (e.g. X10SRM-F) that might be recommended, or whether that would be worth it.

Editing for E5 link.

jdustinb

Cadet
One other question, I realize that 5400/5900 RPM drives are recommended due to heat, but what are general thoughts around the HGST Deskstar NAS 3.5" 6TB drives? I already have a few that I could transition to a new build and help reduce cost if I were to use them.

tealcomp

Explorer
This is right in line with what I have in mind for a build myself. I've just been trying to finalize on a CPU/MB combo. I'm curious if you came across a more powerful yet still cost effective solution from a MB/CPU standpoint as I plan on running this with Plex and require ~5 concurrent transcoding streams.

Hi Jdustin:

Welcome to the forum, I see we are both newbies to FreeNAS.

I don't use PLEX myself but what I can say is this is about the best we can do in the Skylake architecture today. There are higher frequency E3's but the memory is still going to top out at 64GB. From my reading, I think they determine streams based on the passmark score; 2000 required per 1080p stream; so 5 concurrent streams would top out the E3 performance (1240 v5 or above) based on what I am reading which might require delving into the E5 world. The next step up that I would consider myself would be the E5 Xeon. It all really depends on what you are after, because there are other options out there but in general would require the E5 or one of the integrated CPU/motherboard combinations. Have you checked out the forums resource section? This document should be required reading for anyone who is looking to build a FreeNAS solution :) I highly recommend you check it out if you haven't done so already. I hope this helps a bit.

Good luck and if you have any other questions, feel free to ask.

-Dan

tealcomp

Explorer
Hi Fellow Forum Members:

I joined the forum back in September of 2016 and I have been reading posts and "recommended" documentation ever since. It has given me time to reflect on my objectives and how I should go about getting there. I have gone back and forth between a Supermicro 24 bay chassis solution and something a little more conventional. Finally, after a lot of deliberation, I decided to build a new FreeNAS solution that is more compact and easier to manage within a home environment

Objectives:
  1. Replace an older, hardware RAID-6 based storage array (nearing EOL) that is presently used to backup my primary QNAP storage system.
  2. Move the QNAP appliance into the secondary storage role, kept in sync using RSYNC.
  3. Increase storage capacity with this new FreeNAS solution to allow for data growth.
Usage:

1. SMB accessible, shared file system.
  2. Maximum of 5 concurrent users.
  3. Mixed file types: media (audio/video) libraries, images, various documents, and backups of personal devices.
In addition to mirroring the data between servers, routine "offline" backups will be made. I do fully understand the necessity of continuous backups, in the event either the primary or secondary data servers were to fail.

Hopefully, all of my homework and reading and sometimes re-reading have paid off and it won't be too painful to correct any oversights I might have made.

Proposed build:

Case: Fractal Design 804

Power: Seasonic Platinum 760W, calculated from the forum guidelines.

Cooling: There are 3x R2 cooling fans included with the case I have chosen; I will likely need additional fans to optimize cooling, but I may wait and see what temps I get with the stock fans. I don't like buying equipment for what-if scenarios, but I am open to suggestions.

Motherboard: Supermicro X11SSL-CF-O

I selected the X11 because it will allow me to have up to 64GB of ECC unbuffered memory and should adequately support my stated goals.

CPU: E3-1240, v5 (likely overkill for the given tasks, but since I started out with the idea of an E5, I figured I was making a good compromise).

RAM: Crucial 32GB DDR4-2400 ECC UDIMM (CT7982583)

Taken directly from the Crucial website; this is the highest density and I plan to go either with 32GB (2x) or 64GB (4x) for this project. The above part number is a 32GB paired set.

Boot: (2x, mirrored), SanDisk SSD PLUS 120GB Solid State Drive (SDSSDA-120G-G26) [Newest Version]

As I am not a fan of USB fobs, I picked 2 reasonably priced (~$100 for 2) and rated SSDs, to host the OS.

Storage: 10x WD Red (WD60EFRX)

I normally would go with an enterprise class drive; the QNAP for example has 4TB RED PRO drives in it; however, I do like the lower wattage of the plain REDS, albeit with lesser warranty coverage. It's a toss up, but I figured, given the case I am choosing, if I could lessen the heat load without really negatively impacting the overall transfer speed, why not do it? Presently, I have a GbE network, with the ability to go to 10 GbE if warranted.

I also thought about going with SAS based drives with the built in controller, but then I would have needed to add an expander to get past 8 drives and that just seemed cost-ineffective when I already have 8 SATA connections from the built-in SAS controller (via break-out cables) and 6 additional SATA connectors with the chosen motherboard. Even with 10 data drives, and 2 SSD's for the OS, I have 2 spare SATA ports if needed.

Storage Configuration Options

For a ZFS VDev/zpool solution, at 10 drives I know I am pressing the "width" barrier. With that in mind, I have outlined a few potential options. Calculated capacities provided by the "ZFS Drive Size and Cost Comparison" spreadsheet created by @diedrichg

Option 1: 1 zpool, 1 VDev, 10 drives in a RAIDZ2 configuration with a projected capacity of ~37.79TB
  • Better capacity at the risk of redundancy and recovery times.
Option 2: 1 zpool, 2 VDevs, 5 drives each in a RAIDZ2 configuration, with a projected capacity of ~14.17TB per VDev or total projected capacity of ~28.34TB
  • Better redundancy at the cost of available space.
Option 3: 1 zpool, 1 VDev, 10 drives in a RAIDZ3 configuration with a projected capacity of ~33.06TB
  • A compromise, better redundancy with a minor reduction in available space.
If Option 3 doesn't slow down immensely because of the 3 way parity calculations, it seems the best of all 3 options; otherwise, I am leaning towards Option 1.

Well, that about does it for now. I welcome all constructive criticism and advice, and I look forward to being part of this community of FreeNAS owners.

Bummer, so my motherboard of choice is not presently available directly from Newegg; and my back-up vendor of choice, Amazon, says it will take 1-2 months (on prime no less); so I have seen them do this before and once I order it shows up the following 2 days after ordering. Instead, I was thinking about the X11SSL-nf (which Newegg does carry) which I could then pick up the ever popular IBM ServRaid M1015 card and some SFF-8087 to 4x latched SATA cables. One other question, if I go the M1015 route, which vendors on eBay have a good reputation in recent buys? I could get the card new from Amazon for $135.00 Also going to go check, as I think there was another motherboard one of the gurus on this board recommended.

Anyone see any issues with that plan as a backup?

Incidentally, the drives have arrived from B&H and I will be posting some pictures (soon) of how they were packaged. I was pretty impressed (as I have always been with this vendor).

Thanks,
-Dan

tealcomp

Explorer
It looks like the X11SSM-F would also work and has the c236 chipset (8x SATA), which might be a better choice.

Thanks,
-Dan

jdustinb

Cadet
Hi Dan,

My apologies for hi-jacking your thread :) I was just elated over the fact that someone put damn near the ideal system that balances my price point with performance. I've spent countless hours reading through the recommendations, and have considered moving up to the E5, albeit the cost always starts to get me unless I move backwards a generation or two. Something about being on newer technology for me though..

I was able to find your original MB of choice on SuperBiiz, which is a Google trusted store in the event you're still trying to go that route. They had the best price I could find on a couple of the other components as well (CPU and PS if I recall).

Best of luck in your build! You'll have to let us know how it turns out when you get all the parts together.

tealcomp

Explorer
Hi Dan,

My apologies for hi-jacking your thread :) I was just elated over the fact that someone put damn near the ideal system that balances my price point with performance. I've spent countless hours reading through the recommendations, and have considered moving up to the E5, albeit the cost always starts to get me unless I move backwards a generation or two. Something about being on newer technology for me though..

I was able to find your original MB of choice on SuperBiiz, which is a Google trusted store in the event you're still trying to go that route. They had the best price I could find on a couple of the other components as well (CPU and PS if I recall).

Best of luck in your build! You'll have to let us know how it turns out when you get all the parts together.

No worries at all; that's how collaboration gets accomplished :) I definitely will.

tealcomp

Explorer
One other question, I realize that 5400/5900 RPM drives are recommended due to heat, but what are general thoughts around the HGST Deskstar NAS 3.5" 6TB drives? I already have a few that I could transition to a new build and help reduce cost if I were to use them.

I personally don't see any issues with the HGST's, I considered them myself. They are 7200 so they will eat more power and thus generate more heat; BUT if I had some laying around and they fit into my build plan I would sure as heck make use of them. This is my first foray into using the W/D 5400 drives, I am typically an Enterprise 7200 RPM person across the board.

Last edited:

tealcomp

Explorer
Update to build and a question

I ended up ordering the X11SSM-F, which now means I need another HBA.

It looks like this is an LSI 9211
and would work for my needs?

Is there a more compelling reason to go with the IBM OEM version instead?

If the answer is "YES" go with the IBM version, anyone care to share with me a credible source on eBAY?

Thanks Everyone :)

tealcomp

Explorer
Here is an eBay reseller listing where it looks like the part is new pull out of a server; the location is in the US. I have seen a lot of Chinese origins and I am thinking I should stay clear of those.

tealcomp

Explorer
HERE is a different guys selling identical drives for a buck cheaper, faster shipping, and a 1 year warranty. The game has apparently changed.

(2) ordered from that source :)

Incidentally, the drives have arrived from B&H and I will be posting some pictures (soon) of how they were packaged. I was pretty impressed (as I have always been with this vendor).
B & H is good. I live in Iowa and Amazon is charging tax here now. Its a bummer because I love Amazon. An extra 7% on all purchases now? I often find that B&H is the lower priced of all major (online) retailers on drives. I bought my Toshibas there, which were great, free shipping, well packed. They come highly recommended by me for drives and things of that nature.

Here is an eBay reseller listing where it looks like the part is new pull out of a server; the location is in the US. I have seen a lot of Chinese origins and I am thinking I should stay clear of those.
I think all of these cards were made in China. If you dont mind waiting a little longer, Id say they are most likely legit or their feedback would be much crappier. If you look at a few of the neutral half are complaining because of the time it takes.

I think you should look at these rebrands. They are quite a bit cheaper and the end result is the same because you are going to flash anyway, no? Those Dells are everywhere.

(2) ordered from that source :)
I promise they are plenty good enough to boot Freenas for 14 bucks. Youll like it. Biggest benefit is fast upgrades if you ask me. Boot time is what it is, I have so many big jails and such, its hard to notice.

tealcomp

Explorer
I think all of these cards were made in China. If you dont mind waiting a little longer, Id say they are most likely legit or their feedback would be much crappier. If you look at a few of the neutral half are complaining because of the time it takes.

I think you should look at these rebrands. They are quite a bit cheaper and the end result is the same because you are going to flash anyway, no? Those Dells are everywhere.

I bought it directly from an Amazon dealer through PRIME (yes I was being impatient, because I have limited free time to actually build the server and this weekend was my target) :). It looks legit to me and it came in a typical IBM box. Time will tell I suppose, but will find out more once I run it through initial shakedown.

GBillR

Contributor
Hi Fellow Forum Members:
Proposed build:

Case: Fractal Design 804

Power: Seasonic Platinum 760W, calculated from the forum guidelines.

Cooling: There are 3x R2 cooling fans included with the case I have chosen; I will likely need additional fans to optimize cooling, but I may wait and see what temps I get with the stock fans. I don't like buying equipment for what-if scenarios, but I am open to suggestions.

Hi Dan. I've been following this thread for a while now, and I'm curious to know how it's going for you. I almost went with that case for my build, but in the end I was worried about HDD cooling... I didn't like the way the drives were sandwiched in there. I see you ended up going with a HBA too, which will add some heat to the box. I am wondering how well the dual zone design is at isolating the MB and component heat from the drives, and what you ended up settling with for a fan arrangement. How far along is the build? Any photos you'd care to share when you're done? If the case works well for you, I may just have to pick one up... Thanks and good luck!
-Bill

I bought it directly from an Amazon dealer through PRIME (yes I was being impatient, because I have limited free time to actually build the server and this weekend was my target) :). It looks legit to me and it came in a typical IBM box. Time will tell I suppose, but will find out more once I run it through initial shakedown.
Seems legit. Good luck, let us know how it goes.

tealcomp

Explorer
Hi Dan. I've been following this thread for a while now, and I'm curious to know how it's going for you. I almost went with that case for my build, but in the end I was worried about HDD cooling... I didn't like the way the drives were sandwiched in there. I see you ended up going with a HBA too, which will add some heat to the box. I am wondering how well the dual zone design is at isolating the MB and component heat from the drives, and what you ended up settling with for a fan arrangement. How far along is the build? Any photos you'd care to share when you're done? If the case works well for you, I may just have to pick one up... Thanks and good luck!
-Bill

Hi Bill:

All of the parts arrived this week, so this weekend will be the assembly of everything. I need to update my parts list a tad. Happy to provide some pics as it's being built and then post them up; hopefully we will have it all assembled tomorrow and can start undergoing the burn in process. I plan to take my time with this before any "production" data actually goes on it :) It will give me time to experiment with several drive and RAID configurations I am thinking about. I am a little concerned about the heat load as well which is why I decided to go with 5400 RPM drives versus my normal 7200. There are some really good threads in this forum on optimal fan arrangement for the 804 and I will gladly borrow that template and give credit if it works out to fulfill my needs.
I will keep you updated. Thanks for your interest.

-Dan

tealcomp

Explorer
Quick Update:

The new server has been assembled and is presently going through its initial testing phase. I need to update my parts list as there were a few changes (motherboard, memory and cooling fans). I have a ton of pictures I also need to post up. Overall I really like this case; I am still working out the optimal placement of fans and hard drives, but I think everything is coming along nicely.

Status
Not open for further replies.