FreeNAS Mini - best uses for extra storage devices?

dbsoundman

Dabbler
Hi all, I just recently purchased a used FreeNAS Mini with 4x 4TB HDDs, as well as the optional L2ARC and ZIL SSDs installed. In my particular case, I chose to create two striped VDEVs and then mirror the two VDEVs (basically RAID10) as it was more practical for my usage, so now I have some extra SSD storage and I'm not quite sure what to do with it.

2021-02-22-1614044099_988x478.jpg

My first question: what is ada2? It looks like it might be the disk the OS would be installed on but I'm not sure.

Second question: how should I arrange ada3 and ada4? I wish they were the same size, then I would just create a striped VDEV and use them for VM/Jail/Plugin storage, but alas they are not, and I don't really want to waste 50GB on ada3 by striping it with the smaller ada4.

I'd appreciate your suggestions, TrueNAS is new and exciting for me; I just wanted to get a better NAS, and what I got far exceeds my expectations, so much that I'm not 100% sure what I'm doing to do with it all just yet!

Constantin

Vampire Pig
ADA2 is likely a 16GB SATADOM if your Mini was confectioned the way my Mini XL was. Look for a small circuit board sticking out of a SATA connector on your motherboard. It should also feature with a tiny 5VDC power connector and two thin wires going to a IDE power connector if it was like my ASROCK C2750D4I board. See below (image courtesy of SuperMicro)

1614098766274.png

As for 2), you could do some command line magic and partition the larger drive, then combine the partition with the extant smaller drive to create the mirrored striped VDEV you seek. Then use the other partition to create a mirrored boot pool with the SATADOM drive? or perhaps a L2ARC? Understand that none of this is supported by the GUI, and hence your mileage may vary tremendously.

Use case also really matters. I found a "hot" L2ARC to be a tremendous benefit during rsync backups, for example.

joeschmuck

Old Man
I would recommend that you first clearly identify what the three drives really are but opening a Shell and entering the following command: smartctl -i /dev/ada2 and note the drive make and model, then repeat it for ada3 and ada4. Report the data to the thread here.

dbsoundman

Dabbler
I would recommend that you first clearly identify what the three drives really are but opening a Shell and entering the following command: smartctl -i /dev/ada2 and note the drive make and model, then repeat it for ada3 and ada4. Report the data to the thread here.
Code:
truenas% sudo smartctl -i /dev/ada2
smartctl 7.1 2019-12-30 r5022 [FreeBSD 12.2-RELEASE-p3 amd64] (local build)
Copyright (C) 2002-19, Bruce Allen, Christian Franke, www.smartmontools.org

=== START OF INFORMATION SECTION ===
Model Family:     Apacer SDM5/5A/5A-M Series SSD Module
Device Model:     16GB SATA Flash Drive
Serial Number:    E011534200000000003C
Firmware Version: SFDE001A
User Capacity:    16,013,942,784 bytes [16.0 GB]
Sector Sizes:     512 bytes logical, 4096 bytes physical
Rotation Rate:    Solid State Device
Form Factor:      2.5 inches
Device is:        In smartctl database [for details use: -P show]
ATA Version is:   ACS-2 (minor revision not indicated)
SATA Version is:  SATA 3.0, 6.0 Gb/s (current: 6.0 Gb/s)
Local Time is:    Tue Feb 23 13:17:46 2021 EST
SMART support is: Available - device has SMART capability.
SMART support is: Enabled

truenas% sudo smartctl -i /dev/ada3

Model Family:     Marvell based SanDisk SSDs
Device Model:     SanDisk SDSSDHII120G
Serial Number:    154301401307
LU WWN Device Id: 5 001b44 ef8a984db
Firmware Version: X31200RL
User Capacity:    120,034,123,776 bytes [120 GB]
Form Factor:      2.5 inches
ATA Version is:   ACS-2 T13/2015-D revision 3
SATA Version is:  SATA 3.2, 6.0 Gb/s (current: 6.0 Gb/s)
Local Time is:    Tue Feb 23 13:17:58 2021 EST

truenas% sudo smartctl -i /dev/ada4

Model Family:     Marvell based SanDisk SSDs
Device Model:     SanDisk SD6SB1M064G1022I
Serial Number:    151929400303
LU WWN Device Id: 5 001b44 e6b47a7ef
Firmware Version: X231600
User Capacity:    64,023,257,088 bytes [64.0 GB]
Form Factor:      Unknown (0x000a)
ATA Version is:   ATA8-ACS T13/1699-D revision 6
Local Time is:    Tue Feb 23 13:18:00 2021 EST

dbsoundman

Dabbler
ADA2 is likely a 16GB SATADOM if your Mini was confectioned the way my Mini XL was. Look for a small circuit board sticking out of a SATA connector on your motherboard. It should also feature with a tiny 5VDC power connector and two thin wires going to a IDE power connector if it was like my ASROCK C2750D4I board. See below (image courtesy of SuperMicro)

View attachment 45377

As for 2), you could do some command line magic and partition the larger drive, then combine the partition with the extant smaller drive to create the mirrored striped VDEV you seek. Then use the other partition to create a mirrored boot pool with the SATADOM drive? or perhaps a L2ARC? Understand that none of this is supported by the GUI, and hence your mileage may vary tremendously.

Use case also really matters. I found a "hot" L2ARC to be a tremendous benefit during rsync backups, for example.

Partitioning the drives is an interesting idea! I haven't had a chance to do research on L2ARC and ZIL yet, I kind of assumed I didn't need them, but it sounds like I might want to consider it more, especially if the drives are already there, and I might be able to use the SATADOM for some other purpose.

Constantin

Vampire Pig
The SATADOM likely is best for what it does - hold a few different types of system images. 16GB is not a lot but enough to allow you to go backwards and forwards a few iterations. I'd keep that as is.

The other SSDs don't like a great choice for SLOG use since they're consumer-grade stuff. For more info, look at the SLOG resource and extensive discussion thread. L2ARC is not as picky and a good L2ARC can make a big difference re: browsing speed, directory traversals, and so on.

dbsoundman

Dabbler
The SATADOM likely is best for what it does - hold a few different types of system images. 16GB is not a lot but enough to allow you to go backwards and forwards a few iterations. I'd keep that as is.

The other SSDs don't like a great choice for SLOG use since they're consumer-grade stuff. For more info, look at the SLOG resource and extensive discussion thread. L2ARC is not as picky and a good L2ARC can make a big difference re: browsing speed, directory traversals, and so on.
Ahh, so the SATADOM is the system image repository! Makes sense, I'll leave that alone.

Funny you should mention the quality of the SSDs; they're actually labeled as L2ARC and ZIL. I just opened up the case and looked at the motherboard headers:
SATAIII_M1: SATADOM
SATAIII_M2: SSD labeled L2ARC (FreeNAS printed label)
SATAIII_M3: SSD labeled ZIL (FreeNAS printed label)

Based on the /dev numbering and knowing that /dev/ada2 is the SATADOM, it would seem that /dev/ada3 was originally used as the L2ARC (120GB L2ARC for 8TB of storage seems a little crazy though), and /dev/ada4 was originally the ZIL.

I've done a little more reading, and it doesn't seem like a terrible idea to at least have an L2ARC, maybe I can take the device originally designated as the ZIL for a different pool for something else then?

dbsoundman

Dabbler
Wow, maybe I don't want a ZIL, the latency on this thing is almost as bad as the "terrible" benchmark set forth in this thread; his topped out at 70000 usec/IO, mine got up to 63568.2 usec/IO!

Note that this NAS is the FreeNAS Mini, so it's probably around 5 years old or so, these could be the best SSDs available at the time.

Code:
truenas% sudo diskinfo -wS /dev/ada4
Password:
/dev/ada4
    512             # sectorsize
    64023257088     # mediasize in bytes (60G)
    125045424       # mediasize in sectors
    4096            # stripesize
    0               # stripeoffset
    124053          # Cylinders according to firmware.
    16              # Heads according to firmware.
    63              # Sectors according to firmware.
    SanDisk SD6SB1M064G1022I    # Disk descr.
    151929400303    # Disk ident.
    Yes             # TRIM/UNMAP support
    0               # Rotation rate in RPM
    Not_Zoned       # Zone Mode

Synchronous random writes:
     0.5 kbytes:    834.0 usec/IO =      0.6 Mbytes/s
       1 kbytes:    834.9 usec/IO =      1.2 Mbytes/s
       2 kbytes:    836.6 usec/IO =      2.3 Mbytes/s
       4 kbytes:    704.8 usec/IO =      5.5 Mbytes/s
       8 kbytes:    700.9 usec/IO =     11.1 Mbytes/s
      16 kbytes:    780.2 usec/IO =     20.0 Mbytes/s
      32 kbytes:    924.8 usec/IO =     33.8 Mbytes/s
      64 kbytes:   1769.6 usec/IO =     35.3 Mbytes/s
     128 kbytes:   8857.1 usec/IO =     14.1 Mbytes/s
     256 kbytes:  12305.2 usec/IO =     20.3 Mbytes/s
     512 kbytes:  12988.5 usec/IO =     38.5 Mbytes/s
    1024 kbytes:  16346.3 usec/IO =     61.2 Mbytes/s
    2048 kbytes:  23025.6 usec/IO =     86.9 Mbytes/s
    4096 kbytes:  36680.5 usec/IO =    109.0 Mbytes/s
    8192 kbytes:  63568.2 usec/IO =    125.8 Mbytes/s

joeschmuck

Old Man
Thanks for posting the results of the devices, it really helps the team here provide an educated response.

As for ZIL and L2ARC devices, they have their benefits in certain environments and if you are using your NAS for simple home use (backups, streaming video/music) then odds are these devices will not improve performance and will likely diminish performance. Also, the amount of RAM you have is a factor. An L2ARC cannot replace RAM.

My advice is to read up on when to use these devices and for now remove them or just don't use them. You could use one of the SSDs as a boot device in the future but the DOM you currently have is a good device. You know what they say, "If it ain't broke, Don't fix it."

Since the system was used, were the hard drives used also? If yes then have you tested the drives? Run a SMART Long/Extended test on all of the drives (not the DOM ada2) and then look at the SMART data using smartctl -a /dev/ada0 and you can post the output if you desire but definitely look at the link in my signature for Hard Drive Troubleshooting, verify all look good and there are not problems with the drives. Once done, make sure that you have routine SMART Short and Long tests setup in TrueNAS and ensure your email address is setup as well so you can get reports if there is a problem detected.

RegularJoe

Patron
How much RAM do you have, I know the ASRock motherboards could go to 32gb easily but to get to 64GB you had ONE vendor that sold compatible ram and it was the cost of another MINI. LOL As I recall the ram can be 1600 but at the 64 gig set it stepped down to 1333. I think these little systems are painful at times as some support non-ecc ram and others support uecc but not recc.

Constantin

Vampire Pig
The mini is built to a price point and the motherboard and component choices reflect that. While I bought the iXSystems private-labeled chelsio 520 NIC, I chose a used Intel S3xxx series SSD as a ZIL instead. The SSD is still around and likely is still getting broken in even as the ASROCK motherboard in my XL had to be replaced 3+ times.

If you have a C2750D4i motherboard in there be aware of the AVR54 bug that bedevils all C2xxxx series Atom processors built before April (?) 2017. ASRock apparently recently ceased to issue replacement motherboards for all customers so I’d plan ahead for a replacement in case this one breaks too.

Constantin

Vampire Pig
How much RAM do you have, I know the ASRock motherboards could go to 32gb easily but to get to 64GB you had ONE vendor that sold compatible ram and it was the cost of another MINI. LOL
Stock was 32GB back then. IMM memory modules are very finicky. I bought a 64GB set on eBay for less than $350 and it worked fine until I was hit by the AVR54 bug and went through like 4+ motherboards before I finally got one that was post 2017, with good firmware, and no issues (thank you, iXSystems!). Along the way, my IMM modules became flaky.

One of the modules will cause a post fault, another will have a occasional ECC error, the remaining 2 worked fine for a while before they too failed and so I’m back to 32GB RAM. I reckon the timing issues with UDIMMs have something to do with all this. I didn’t find the extra memory making a big difference for my use case but then again I don’t run VMs here. So I have resorted to the stock RAM and it’s working fine.

Last edited:

RegularJoe

Patron
Sounds like ASRock really does not want happy customers and iXsystems they do! I was tempted to test the 64gb but ultimately chicked out and just went with 32gb. I hate pain.

Constantin

Vampire Pig
For my replacement motherboard, I chose something bigger and more expandable than the board that came in my Mini XL. Drop in replacements that can handle as many drives as the C2750D4I in a mini ITX form factor are pretty rare. IXsystems chose a board they could use inside a Mini or a Mini XL, so their choice landed on a ASRock board that can handle lots of SATA connections natively.

Replacements feature many tradeoffs, mainly due to the available real estate. Usually, it's a question of interfaces, such as how many SATA ports there are, m.2 slots, processor horsepower, etc. Here are a few boards to consider but there are literally 50+ Mini-ITX boards on the SuperMicro site alone.
  • Supermicro A2SDi-8C+-HLN4F offers plenty SATA slots for future use in a different chassis but only one PCIe 3.0x4 slot. That’s the dual downside of mini-ITX and atom processors.
  • Supermicro X11SSV-Q socketed (!!) board with just enough SATA ports for a Mini (2 SATADOM + 3 regular). Features a pcie 3.0x16 slot as well as a m.2 PCIe 3.0x4 for a NVME SLOG like the p4801x.
  • Supermicro X11SDV-8C+-TLN2F much higher price point, thermal budget and far more processing power but 8 SATA ports and 4 DIMMs.
The best replacement comes down to use case, $$, thermal considerations, and height. Some of those motherboards may not fit height wise or thermal in the Ablecom case the Mini ships in.

I much prefer a larger form factor for the motherboard because it allows processor architectures like the d-15xx series, d-2xxx series, Ryzen, etc to actually offer a lot of connectivity / interface options. Whether it’s more pcie slots, m.2 interfaces, or SATA ports, bigger boards give the designer the real estate to make it happen.

Last edited:

dbsoundman

Dabbler
Thanks for posting the results of the devices, it really helps the team here provide an educated response.

As for ZIL and L2ARC devices, they have their benefits in certain environments and if you are using your NAS for simple home use (backups, streaming video/music) then odds are these devices will not improve performance and will likely diminish performance. Also, the amount of RAM you have is a factor. An L2ARC cannot replace RAM.

My advice is to read up on when to use these devices and for now remove them or just don't use them. You could use one of the SSDs as a boot device in the future but the DOM you currently have is a good device. You know what they say, "If it ain't broke, Don't fix it."

Since the system was used, were the hard drives used also? If yes then have you tested the drives? Run a SMART Long/Extended test on all of the drives (not the DOM ada2) and then look at the SMART data using smartctl -a /dev/ada0 and you can post the output if you desire but definitely look at the link in my signature for Hard Drive Troubleshooting, verify all look good and there are not problems with the drives. Once done, make sure that you have routine SMART Short and Long tests setup in TrueNAS and ensure your email address is setup as well so you can get reports if there is a problem detected.
Thanks for the link to the SMART troubleshooting thread; I've got long tests scheduled to start tonight, and will check out the results in...what may take a couple days!

I'm starting to lean toward migrating my data-heavy applications to the NAS itself, as those applications are Plex and Nextcloud :). Nextcloud will be a bit tricky though as I would like to preserve my existing database somehow, so I'll have to research that more later. I'm thinking that trying to connect VM storage via NAS or iSCSI just isn't worthwhile for me and my system, so I'll likely appropriate the SSDs for local jail storage, and maybe just pull one of them out of the NAS altogether and use it for something else.

dbsoundman

Dabbler
How much RAM do you have, I know the ASRock motherboards could go to 32gb easily but to get to 64GB you had ONE vendor that sold compatible ram and it was the cost of another MINI. LOL As I recall the ram can be 1600 but at the 64 gig set it stepped down to 1333. I think these little systems are painful at times as some support non-ecc ram and others support uecc but not recc.
I have 32 GB of RAM on this system.

dbsoundman

Dabbler
The mini is built to a price point and the motherboard and component choices reflect that. While I bought the iXSystems private-labeled chelsio 520 NIC, I chose a used Intel S3xxx series SSD as a ZIL instead. The SSD is still around and likely is still getting broken in even as the ASROCK motherboard in my XL had to be replaced 3+ times.

If you have a C2750D4i motherboard in there be aware of the AVR54 bug that bedevils all C2xxxx series Atom processors built before April (?) 2017. ASRock apparently recently ceased to issue replacement motherboards for all customers so I’d plan ahead for a replacement in case this one breaks too.
Yikes! I do have this motherboard, but I did some poking around with the dmidecode command and I think the motherboard may be from 2018...not quite sure if I got that right. The eBay seller sent the NAS in its original box, and on top of the Fedex label he used to send it to me were two older labels going back and forth to iXSystems, so my guess is it was repaired in the past. I actually wanted to contact iX support and see if they could provide some more history on the box.

Given what I've learned so far, I think if I did it again I would buy new, but I still think I would stick with the prebuilt boxes vs DIY as it saves so much time in parts compatibility research, and I get an "officially supported" configuration.

Constantin

Vampire Pig
Agreed, which is why I went with the MiniXl way back when. If you take off the side, you should be able to see the motherboard version iteration next to the PCIE 3x8 slot. If you have V1.03 you might be ok. That what I got from iXSystems as a replacement and the CPU is married to the board...

dbsoundman

Dabbler

I don't *think* the drives have failed, but I'm not totally sure I'm interpreting the results correctly. Here's /dev/ada0, I can post the others as well but it's a lot to paste in here so I'll await further guidance. The thing that really confuses me here is how do I tell when this test was run? I know I scheduled SMART to run a long test at 15:00 on Wednesday (yesterday), but does it actually say that somewhere in the log output?

Also I noticed the drives are 5400 RPM, which is not ideal...if I start swapping them out for new 7200 RPM drives will everything be OK if I have a mix of 5400 and 7200 for a while?

Code:
truenas% sudo smartctl -a /dev/ada0
Password:

Model Family:     Western Digital Red
Device Model:     WDC WD40EFRX-68WT0N0
Serial Number:    WD-WCC4E5NPVP0E
LU WWN Device Id: 5 0014ee 262390bd8
Firmware Version: 82.00A82
User Capacity:    4,000,787,030,016 bytes [4.00 TB]
Rotation Rate:    5400 rpm
ATA Version is:   ACS-2 (minor revision not indicated)
Local Time is:    Thu Feb 25 15:27:29 2021 EST

=== START OF READ SMART DATA SECTION ===
SMART overall-health self-assessment test result: PASSED

General SMART Values:
Offline data collection status:  (0x00)    Offline data collection activity
                    was never started.
                    Auto Offline Data Collection: Disabled.
Self-test execution status:      (   0)    The previous self-test routine completed
                    without error or no self-test has ever
                    been run.
Total time to complete Offline
data collection:         (52860) seconds.
Offline data collection
capabilities:              (0x7b) SMART execute Offline immediate.
                    Auto Offline data collection on/off support.
                    Suspend Offline collection upon new
                    command.
                    Offline surface scan supported.
                    Self-test supported.
                    Conveyance Self-test supported.
                    Selective Self-test supported.
SMART capabilities:            (0x0003)    Saves SMART data before entering
                    power-saving mode.
                    Supports SMART auto save timer.
Error logging capability:        (0x01)    Error logging supported.
                    General Purpose Logging supported.
Short self-test routine
recommended polling time:      (   2) minutes.
Extended self-test routine
recommended polling time:      ( 529) minutes.
Conveyance self-test routine
recommended polling time:      (   5) minutes.
SCT capabilities:            (0x703d)    SCT Status supported.
                    SCT Error Recovery Control supported.
                    SCT Feature Control supported.
                    SCT Data Table supported.

SMART Attributes Data Structure revision number: 16
Vendor Specific SMART Attributes with Thresholds:
ID# ATTRIBUTE_NAME          FLAG     VALUE WORST THRESH TYPE      UPDATED  WHEN_FAILED RAW_VALUE
  1 Raw_Read_Error_Rate     0x002f   200   200   051    Pre-fail  Always       -       0
  3 Spin_Up_Time            0x0027   194   175   021    Pre-fail  Always       -       7291
  4 Start_Stop_Count        0x0032   100   100   000    Old_age   Always       -       78
  5 Reallocated_Sector_Ct   0x0033   200   200   140    Pre-fail  Always       -       0
  7 Seek_Error_Rate         0x002e   200   200   000    Old_age   Always       -       0
  9 Power_On_Hours          0x0032   046   046   000    Old_age   Always       -       40021
 10 Spin_Retry_Count        0x0032   100   253   000    Old_age   Always       -       0
 11 Calibration_Retry_Count 0x0032   100   253   000    Old_age   Always       -       0
 12 Power_Cycle_Count       0x0032   100   100   000    Old_age   Always       -       78
192 Power-Off_Retract_Count 0x0032   200   200   000    Old_age   Always       -       64
193 Load_Cycle_Count        0x0032   200   200   000    Old_age   Always       -       896
194 Temperature_Celsius     0x0022   121   112   000    Old_age   Always       -       31
196 Reallocated_Event_Count 0x0032   200   200   000    Old_age   Always       -       0
197 Current_Pending_Sector  0x0032   200   200   000    Old_age   Always       -       0
198 Offline_Uncorrectable   0x0030   100   253   000    Old_age   Offline      -       0
199 UDMA_CRC_Error_Count    0x0032   200   200   000    Old_age   Always       -       0
200 Multi_Zone_Error_Rate   0x0008   200   200   000    Old_age   Offline      -       0

SMART Error Log Version: 1
No Errors Logged

SMART Self-test log structure revision number 1
Num  Test_Description    Status                  Remaining  LifeTime(hours)  LBA_of_first_error
# 1  Extended offline    Completed without error       00%     40005         -

SMART Selective self-test log data structure revision number 1
 SPAN  MIN_LBA  MAX_LBA  CURRENT_TEST_STATUS
    1        0        0  Not_testing
    2        0        0  Not_testing
    3        0        0  Not_testing
    4        0        0  Not_testing
    5        0        0  Not_testing
Selective self-test flags (0x0):
  After scanning selected spans, do NOT read-scan remainder of disk.
If Selective self-test is pending on power-up, resume after 0 minute delay.

joeschmuck

Old Man
Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner, been a crazy week.

Drive ada0 (Serial Number: WD-WCC4E5NPVP0E) looks fine. The key things I look at are ID's 5, 193, 194, 196, 197, 198, 199, 200, and the SMART Self-test log. Notice that only a single Extended test has been conducted. I personally recommend a daily Short test for all drives and a weekly Extended/Long test for all drives. Also becasue you bought a used system I looked up the warranty for that drive, it expired Feb 2019. Here is the URL to look that up for your other drives.

Go ahead and post the output of any other drive you want a second opinion on.