FreeNAS Mini and external storage

Status
Not open for further replies.

rsmithjr6

Cadet
I presently have a FreeNAS Mini with 32 GB memory, two SSD drive for Cache and four 3 GB Red drives.

I also had an Unraid server with 16 GB memory and five 1.5 GB hard drives, which the mother board died.

I need to replace Unraid server.

I use the mini for a plexserver I can have 3 streams going at once, web server and to backup my home 5 pc to.

I used the Unraid for owncloud and file server for the 5 pc in the house.

My question is can a Mini handle this extra load if I add external storage to my Mini or should I build another FreeNAS server?

Thanks

Ron

nojohnny101

Wizard
Which FreeNAS mini do you have exactly? The new one?

I would say try it and see if it works. If you find performance issues then you'll know your answer.

rsmithjr6

Cadet
Which FreeNAS mini do you have exactly? The new one?

I would say try it and see if it works. If you find performance issues then you'll know your answer.
The system

Thanks johhny10 for the reply

The system is over a year old it is not the FreeNAS Mini XL, just the plain Mini with four bays.

Is there a list of external storage that works with FreeNAS Mini? From what I can find on the forums there is little said about external storage. That is why I’m asking the question. I didn’t want to buy an external storage box and find out that the Mini can’t support it. I’m leaning towards a second FreeNAS unit or to build one at this point.

Nick2253

Wizard
Usually, we'll steer you away from external storage, unless you're doing enterprise stuff with quality SAS expanders and JBOD trays. External storage done right will probably cost you more than another server.

Other than the FreeNAS Mini, two good options to consider are the Lenovo TS140 and the HP Microserver (both with added memory to get you to 8GB minimum). The TS140 is available for $300 on Amazon right now (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00SS3M3K6/?tag=ozlp-20). It has 4GB of memory, so you'd need to buy an additional 4GB stick (or just buy 1 8GB stick), and it has space for 4 hard drives. It's a favorite of a couple of the more prominent forum members. For the price, it's hard to beat.

nojohnny101

Wizard
What @Nick2253 said. External storage is discouraged because of the problems that it sometimes causes with SMART tests and the way it often blocks FreeNAS from managing the drives properly.

Stux

MVP
If you add a sas PCIe card with an external port, then you should be able to use an external sas expander chassis.

Unless the single PCIe slot is already used, say with 10gbe.

rsmithjr6

Cadet
Usually, we'll steer you away from external storage, unless you're doing enterprise stuff with quality SAS expanders and JBOD trays. External storage done right will probably cost you more than another server.

Other than the FreeNAS Mini, two good options to consider are the Lenovo TS140 and the HP Microserver (both with added memory to get you to 8GB minimum). The TS140 is available for $300 on Amazon right now (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00SS3M3K6/?tag=ozlp-20). It has 4GB of memory, so you'd need to buy an additional 4GB stick (or just buy 1 8GB stick), and it has space for 4 hard drives. It's a favorite of a couple of the more prominent forum members. For the price, it's hard to beat.

Nick2253

I looked at both the Lenovo TS140 and the HP Microserver, the Lenovo TS140 looks like a better option.

If I put in four hard drives, and 32 GB memory, I know it will not match the speed of my present Mini, with the cache drives, but would it be fast enough to be used as File/ backup server? I’m assuming the USB 2 port is where I can still run the FreeNAS software from.

Thanks

Ron

Nick2253

Wizard
Most likely, your load is not enough for those cache drives in your Mini to really do anything for you. With a max of five users, you network speed (unless you're using 10G) is far-and-away going to be your bottleneck, not your array. The TS140 will easily saturate 1G network, and it will be more than enough for just file sharing/backup.

rsmithjr6

Cadet
Nick2253

Thanks for all the help. I have one last question before I order the TS140 tonight.
Are all the hard drive cables and power cables supplied with the TS140 or do I need to order something when I place the order? From reading the reviews on Amazon, it sounds like I might need power connectors for the extra hard drives.
Do you know if this is true? I would think if it can hold four drives it should have enough power connectors to add the extra drives.

Thanks Ron

Nick2253

Wizard

Robert Trevellyan

Pony Wrangler
The T20 comes with cables and drive sleds for four 3.5" drives. Two 2.5" drives require extra SATA cables but mounting screws are included (drive sleds are not used with 2.5" drives in the T20).

NOTE: the $179 Pentium version is currently out of stock with Dell.

Status
Not open for further replies.