YamiFrankc

Dabbler
  • Supermicro x9SCM-F
  • Xeon E3-1220
  • 16GB ECC RAM
  • 60 GB SSD boot disk
  • SAS Card with IT mode flashed
  • 6x4TB drives
Hello, I am experiencing a problem with my new FreeNAS machine, all of the hardware has been recommended by a user of this forum.
I was able to install FreeNAS and access the web GUI, everything was working good. At the moment I had the PC on the table just in case I needed to do hardware troubleshooting, and as soon as I confirmed it worked I shut down the machine using the option in the web GUI and placed the computer in the place I want it to be.
Now, when I turn it on it will not boot (seems like does not get to grub). I have a monitor hooked to it and it goes through all of the motherboard initial boot but then just goes to a black screen infinitely. I did not change any bios settings before that happened.

I tried reinstalling, but that problem keeps happening. Reading around I see that a possible cause is that the boot drive died, but I do not think it is the case, not only it is brand new but the installer keeps letting me use it without issue.

Any idea of what can be happening? Cant really give you guys an error code because the screen just will not display anything and I cannot access FreeNAS thru the network.

Wanted to give more info: I don't remember what mode it was installed as when it worked, but it probably was BIOS mode.
When I set the motherboard to only boot in UEFI mode it skips everything and goes directly to the UEFI shell. It will only boot the usb and SSD (getting stuck before grub?) in legacy mode.
I have already installed in both modes.

The SSD is connected to my SAS card, i first connected it directly to the mobo but it game me "cam timeout" errors when installing, I do not get install errors if its connected to the SAS card.

Last edited by a moderator:
CAM timeouts could be a big hint. Id be leery of the drive itself or SATA cable. I have almost always "fixed" CAM errors by replacing the cables and or drive. If this were my machine I would try to install on a second flash drive or hard drive (different cable) and boot from that to test the theory of the drive/cable being bad. You may go as far as to leave the SAS card or anything else extra out of the mix during this test. If install and boot succeeds, I would almost certainly return/RMA that drive.

I have chased CAM errors in the past, and always I used new drive/cables at the same time, so I cant be 100% on what the issues were. My gut says it was the drive in these instances. Many times these drives passed the Array but on extended Badblocks tests errors were exposed. I have never used Badblocks on a SSD, and im not sure if its advised. In all cases this is a destructive test, so use with caution. I also think that power can play a role. Once I had CAM reset errors and the power supply was failing on the 5v side. This was discovered by looking at the Motherboard IPMI event logs.

Just a few things to check and or try. Good luck.

YamiFrankc

Dabbler
Hello, thanks for your answer. It looks like it will actually be a bad ssd.
I did some more troubleshooting: So i have a SAS brakout cable to 4 sata, the ssd will boot correctly in each one of them only one time, once i shutdown or reboot the problem will come up again and wont boot.
If I connect the SSD directly to the mother board it will boot correctly everytime up until after setting up network devices, after that it will come up with CAM Timeout errors.
Then I disconnected everything but one HDD(plugged directly to mobo) and installed to it, now i have been able to boot correctly to it a couple times.
So i guess the SSD is really bad and im gonna need another one...

YamiFrankc

Dabbler
Update, problem is solved.
SSD was bad, got a new one and worked perfectly from the start connected directly to motherboard and booted without issue.
Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.