Freenas won't boot.

QuantumLeaper

Dabbler
I have an ASUS Desktop PC M11AD, BIOS 0302, Intel Core i3 4130T (2.90 GHz), and installed Freenas (lastest release version) on to my 16G Sandisk thumb drive without any problems, that I could solve. Now I set the UEFI to boot from the Sandisk and all I get is a Black screen when I try to boot. I tried UFEI mode and BIOS mode, and neither worked. Currently using UEFI mode, it just doesn't boot. I even tried to install it to my 160Gig HD, and it still doesn't boot, though I would just like to get it to boot. I really want to get this to work since just before I got the Sandisk, Window 8 died on the computer. I even tried booting off the boot menu in UEFI Bios. I am running out of ideas to get this computer to boot to FreeNas...

Any suggestions would be great.

HDs are Toshiba 1G and a Maxtor 160G.

RotsiserMho

Dabbler
I had trouble booting Memtest86 with UEFI and what worked for me was to manually select it from the BIOS boot menu. Maybe that would work?

QuantumLeaper

Dabbler
That was one of the things I tried, it would BLACK screen me when I booted, I had to use the boot menu if I wanted to boot from anything other than the internal HD. Win10 installed just fine from the selecting it from the Boot menu and thumb drive. So the only thing I know it will install off the Sandisk without a problem.

joeschmuck

Old Man
First, you did not specify which version of FreeNAS you are installing, very important to know.

Some bootloaders are very picky on what hardware they will load from. I would recommend you only use Legacy BIOS mode and not use UEFI as this will generally make it more compatible. I take it your primary language is not English, I say that due to your sentence structure. Please take your time writing your posts so we are fully understanding what you are saying, but so far I think I understand. I say this because you will get better answers and probably faster ones with clear communications.

You may need to burn the ISO image to a CD-ROM and boot from a CD/DVD drive. This will likely be your best action moving forward. The other option is to find a different tool to burn the ISO to the USB Flash Drive, sometimes others work much better.

Just because Windoze 10 boots unfortunately doesn't mean FreeNAS will boot. The closest thing to FreeNAS is FreeBSD 12. You could try to install that, if it works then post your results. You can also try a different version of FreeNAS if you desire just to see if it will install.

Good Luck

firsway

Dabbler
Have you tried UEFI boot for another product on the Sandisk? Could it be more general than just FreeNAS?

QuantumLeaper

Dabbler
First, you did not specify which version of FreeNAS you are installing, very important to know.

Some bootloaders are very picky on what hardware they will load from. I would recommend you only use Legacy BIOS mode and not use UEFI as this will generally make it more compatible. I take it your primary language is not English, I say that due to your sentence structure. Please take your time writing your posts so we are fully understanding what you are saying, but so far I think I understand. I say this because you will get better answers and probably faster ones with clear communications.

You may need to burn the ISO image to a CD-ROM and boot from a CD/DVD drive. This will likely be your best action moving forward. The other option is to find a different tool to burn the ISO to the USB Flash Drive, sometimes others work much better.

Just because Windoze 10 boots unfortunately doesn't mean FreeNAS will boot. The closest thing to FreeNAS is FreeBSD 12. You could try to install that, if it works then post your results. You can also try a different version of FreeNAS if you desire just to see if it will install.

Good Luck

Good Luck

After fiddling around with the UEFI again, and have to chose it from the Boot Menu, it works. I can't have it Thumb drive as the first boot option, it locks up, but from the Boot Menu, it works. I have not idea what the problem with it the last time I tried legacy BIOS mode, but I did get it to work finally.
Thanks for the help, I guess. I still wish I knew what I did to get it to work. Now it Boots and I still have to configure it.

Things I did notice.
UEFI is set for UEFI boot but Legacy Boot from the Thumb drive boots it.
I can't get it to boot if I set the Thumb drive as the first option in the boot order, it locks up
If I chose it from the Boot Menu, I get it to work in Legacy mode, even though the BIOS isn't set for Legacy Bios booting.
In the boot menu, it has TWO Sandisk options UEFI and Legacy for it. I can't tell which setting for the Sandisk is getting it to boot. I did install Frenas as Legacy Bios.
Windows 10 boot with UEFI but Frenas boots with Legacy even though I don't have to change anything in the UEFI to get both to boot.

QuantumLeaper

Dabbler
Have you tried UEFI boot for another product on the Sandisk? Could it be more general than just FreeNAS?

I got it to work in Legacy BIOS install mode, I think even though it not set to Boot in Legacy BIOS mode. Now I just to set it up with the installed HDs.
It like the UEFI is in Opposite mode.
Right now...
Win10 boots in UEFI
Frenas boot in Legacy BIOS
WITHOUT changing UEFI in any way.

joeschmuck

Old Man
Glad you figured it out. Sometimes it takes a bit of trial and error to figure these types of problems out.