FreeNAS files getting zeroed out

Enoac

Cadet
I've been having an odd problem with my FreeNAS setup. I've been having files getting zeroed out. Filename is there and it's in the right place. Modification times look correct, but the files with just be zero size and I'm not able to do anything with them.

Has anyone seen anything like this before?

What can I do to stop it?

garm

Wizard
Welcome to the forum

That sounds horrific, if it is indeed what is happening. Please provide more information, like for instance the printout of ls -ahl for any affected files.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Greetings!

Welcome to the forums and sorry you're having troubles.

Please refer to the forum rules, conveniently link at the top of every page in red, which request that you post a hardware manifest and complete description of your system. This information assists us in understanding your circumstances and is much more likely to result in some insight into your problem.

ZFS isn't particularly well known for losing data, and usually there is something seriously wrong if ZFS itself does so. It is also possible for other types of errors to result in apparent data loss, such as virus scanners on a NAS client. A detailed description of your environment is likely to suggest issues or at least further questions that can clarify what's going on.

Enoac

Cadet
jgreco,

Sorry Missed that in the rules

My config is a bit on the strange side

Motherboard: Supermicro X8DT6
CPU: xeon x5650
Ram: 43GB
HDD: 8x WD Red 4TB drives (not sure the exact model)
controller: LSI 2008 flashed to IT mode
NIC: just the cards that are built into the motherboard.

The thing i'm doing thats strange is my freenas is running in a VM on ESXi. I have done a PCI pass through of the LSI card so freenas has full control of the disks.

garm,

Here is the thing I just discovered thats very odd. If I view the files on my ubuntu system they show up with size and I can open them. On my windows system they were showing 0 size.

Both are using CIFS to access the files. I know that mixing permissions with CIFS and NFS gets messy at times.

garm

Wizard
So it’s a sharing issue, don’t mix protocols on the same directory. Permissions is not the only issue and you might break data if both protocols tries to write to the same file. Both windows and Linux has support for both protocols.. pick one

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Also worth noting is that many of the X8 boards do not do PCIe passthru properly. This is sometimes hard to identify. Suggest fully burning in and qualifying the system before you trust it with important data.

Enoac

Cadet
Garm, I'm just using SMB on both windows on linux, so it's all the same protocol. Just glad that my data turns out to still be there. I'll have to test what is up with windows and that share from my freenas.

I don't think it's an issue with the motherboard. It seems to be doing the pass-through just fine, i'm able to read all the smart data from the drives and see the PCI card correctly.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
I don't think it's an issue with the motherboard. It seems to be doing the pass-through just fine, i'm able to read all the smart data from the drives and see the PCI card correctly.

One of the moderators here had an X8-generation board that crapped out about once a week IIRC. This is all about working correctly *all* of the time, not just the ten minutes of a firstboot scenario.