Migration to FreeNAS / Moving the file

Status
Not open for further replies.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Well, you can use setfacl, but that's not very efficient because it doesn't recurse through a directory. This means you will have to use find syntax will be something like
Code:
find /mnt/<path-to-share>/ -type f -exec setfacl <access control entry> {} \;

and then
Code:
find /mnt/<path-to-share>/ -type d -exec setfacl <access control entry> {} \;

I'm a bit concerned that your groups aren't showing up. I'm not able to reproduce it on my servers. You may want to file a bug report at bugs.freenas.org.

BlazeStar

Patron
Okay I just did / Bug #6723

But in the meantime, how can I make this work?

Should I revert my datasets to a UNIX ACL permission type and then set the appropriate groups for each shares ?

I really need to get this to work because I'm having all kind of weird permission problems, and I just want to rebuild my permission from scratch for every dataset, recursively and cleanly.

For example, by selecting all the users for a specific share and giving them all level of access EXCEP full control, I thought there would be no problem.

But some users have access only to some folders,etc.

I miss the good old CHMOD -R, and CHOWN -R, which would fix everything in no time.

The GUI is no help in this case since when I select "Windows" in permission type, then I cannot play with the permission settings.

So at this point, unless there's a magic fix for my group thing, I'm just looking for a solution clear all permissions and rebuild them from scratch.

I'd really like to see what my options are...

What happens if I just revert all dataset to UNIX permission type, and then CHMOD + CHOWN then with the right users and groups ?

Last edited:

BlazeStar

Patron
The problem may also be somehow related to your Windows client being a VM and on a different subnet. It's hard to say. Updating to the latest version of FreeNAS will exclude one possibility.

Just for the record, my VM is not on a different subnet.

And just to exclude the fact that the problem could be related to using a VM, created a new account for myself on a Windows 7 machine and the same problem occurs.

Just wanted to clear out the VM and subnet variables as being part of the problem.

alexg

Contributor
You need to map your unixgroups to Windows groups

net groupmap add ntgroup="ShareUsers" unixgroup=shareusers type=local

However, something strange going on with new Samba. It keeps re-assigning new SID, so I had to reset SID several times to the original value. There is a bug logged on this topic and may have been fixed in 9.2.1.9. Also, Windows security edit window doesn't show FreeNAS RDNs unless I use admin account on Windows. I have not been able to figure this out yet.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Since this thread was never updated, here's the resolution:

Blaze,

Well, I can explain the issue here and you can post to the forum ;-)

The issue was with the samba group mappings happening before the samba SID was being saved. Also, there was a point when the samba SID didn't used to get saved. I do not recall the exact version, but I want to say it was 9.2.1.8. So every time FreeNAS would get rebooted, a new SID was generated. We originally didn't even have group mappings, so this didn't matter. Once the group mappings were introduced, it mattered. So, when I looked at your group mappings, you had several different SID values. The "fix" was brute force, as follows:

service samba_server stop

rm -rf /var/db/samba4/*
rm -rf /var/etc/private*

service ix-pre-samba start
service samba_server start

At this point, is where the bug occurs. The newly created group mappings at this point had a consistent SID, however, it was not THE SID that was now correct ;-) So, to fix that:

net groupmap delete # this should blow away all mappings
service ix-pre-samba start # create config (and group mapping) with known SID

Ugly hack, however, I did just commit the fix that does the right thing. I hope this helps ;-)
From https://bugs.freenas.org/issues/6723

My preliminary results show that doing

Code:
service samba_server stop

rm -rf /var/db/samba4/*
rm -rf /var/etc/private*

service ix-pre-samba start
service samba_server start

is enough to fix the problem on recent FreeNAS 9.3 releases (201506042008 currently).

alexg

Contributor
Thanks. This also works on 9.2.1.7. Instead of ix-pre-samba service, I had to use ix-samba service.

Status
Not open for further replies.