FreeNAS does not start on FreeNAS Mini XL

CatHerder

Dabbler
FreeNAS is not starting on my FreeNAS Mini XL. Last time the system was active was on a few hours before I had power utility people messing around with the electrical supply to my house. I suspect that something was damaged. I am looking for ideas / suggestions to help complete a proper diagnosis.
Here are the symptoms:
1. When switched on, the machine makes all the right noises and the LEDs on the front panel and installed disks come on - so the power supply appears ok.
2. I can see & log into the ASRock Rack management facility via a browser on another PC. Unfortunately I can not see anything that points to an underlying problem.
2a. The Dashboard shows all sensors green, but not all values are available. I don't know enough about the hardware to know if the absence of values is significant.
2b. The "Location LED Status" on the Dashboard is flashing red. Again, I do not know if that is relevant / significant. The fact that I can log into the "ASRock Rack" utility tells me that there is some minimal functionality and the server is connected to my network.
3. If I attach a VGA monitor to the FreeNAS Mini XL, the monitor claims that there is no signal and goes to sleep. I've tried this with more than one cable in case there is a cable fault. Rebooting the server with the monitor attached does not show information on screen.

Any suggestions on getting to a complete diagnosis will be appreciated.

Attachments

• ASRockRack - Dashboard - Device Information.jpg
    ASRockRack - Dashboard - Device Information.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 234
  • ASRockRack - Dashboard - Sensor Monitoring.jpg
    ASRockRack - Dashboard - Sensor Monitoring.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 234

Adrian

Contributor
Could well be the C2000 problem. Raise a ticket with iXsystems, including the IPMI sensors.

CatHerder

Dabbler
Yes, I raised a ticket yesterday & received a prompt response.
iXsystems think that what I've described is a possible symptom of the CPU Clock issue that they have experienced with these motherboards. and are proposing a replacement under an extended warranty.

JoshDW19

Community Hall of Fame
Awesome! Glad we could help. Let us know how it all works out for you.

CatHerder

Dabbler
Replacement motherboard received and installed. Everything appears to be working properly now. Great response / service from iXsystems.