FreeNAS mini XL esata add on

Status
Not open for further replies.

shack

Cadet
I just purchased this FreeNAS mini XL and need to backup files to an external 4 sata drive enclouser with esata and usb3 connections.
the onboard usb 2.0 is too slow so I'd like to add a esata using the one free internal sata port or add a pci expansion card in the available pci slot and maybe get a usb 3 also.

My question is, Has anyone else done this and are there any problems or issues that it has caused.

Redcoat

MVP

kdragon75

Wizard
As long as your using a well supported non-RAID sata card, that part should work fine. You do need to be careful with sata enclosures as many use port multipliers and those almost universally suck.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler

Arwen

MVP
external 4 sata drive enclouser with esata and usb3 connections.
Do not trust that thing with your data.
I'm trusting the NAS with the data, the backup is it for mobile data.
The issue is SATA port multiplier. Basically turn one SATA host port into 5 disk ports. Even Intel, (which is a SATA org member), does not really support them.

If you can, get a SAS card with 1x4 external ports. Then get an external enclosure with either SAS 1x4 input port, or 4 eSATA input ports. You can also get external chassis with SAS expander, but that requires a SAS host port.

In general, you want direct connections to your disks, with the exception of SAS expanders. They are okay. Try and avoid the external chassis with simple RAID. Mine works okay, (see my resource). But I can't run SMART tests with it. Eventually I'll replace it.

It can be hard to find such, as most people on the low end, use USB. Or can live with SATA port multipliers.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.