FreeNAS Mini & adding eSATA ports

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arwen

MVP
Anyone modify the FreeNAS Mini, (current generation with the Avoton board), to include eSATA ports?

My old NAS, (ReadyNAS 1000S), had a serial console connector on the inside. I modified the back panel
to include a stock DE-9M. Then wired that to a terminal server. Useful during boot when it was slow,
(having to run it's occasional FSCKs). So I am not new to modifying sheet metal hardware.

What I was thinking, was that since this board has 12 SATA ports, with in general only 7 usable in the
currently supplied chassis, I would get an adapter cable for bringing another 2 to the back panel. That way
I can use eSATA for backups to external drives without resorting to USB 2.0 speeds. Probably limit those
ports to the 3Gbps SATA channels... (more than enough for external drives).

Here is sample of the device I had in mind;

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IU8Y9AG/?tag=ozlp-20

Of course someone could do it the easy way, and simply use a PCI card back panel. Since I intend at some
future date to add another network port, I'd want that free. Thus, the need to consider modifing the back
panel.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I have a mini, and I don't see any reason why it would be "horribad" to do this.

My biggest concerns would be:

1. Bumping the drives while they are in use since they aren't in a protective case
2. Definitely won't be doing SMART tests, SMART monitoring, or scrubs at a regular schedule
3. Lots of work to do revolving around mounting and unmounting unless you plan to make it permanent(in which case #1 makes you silly for doing it)
4. I personally have always been disappointed with the quality of esata stuff. Never had it work reliably for me for whatever reason.

Other then that, I'd say it's doable.

Arwen

MVP
I have a mini, and I don't see any reason why it would be "horribad" to do this.

My biggest concerns would be:

1. Bumping the drives while they are in use since they aren't in a protective case
2. Definitely won't be doing SMART tests, SMART monitoring, or scrubs at a regular schedule
3. Lots of work to do revolving around mounting and unmounting unless you plan to make it permanent(in which case #1 makes you silly for doing it)
4. I personally have always been disappointed with the quality of esata stuff. Never had it work reliably for me for whatever reason.

Other then that, I'd say it's doable.

It's just for backups. Faster than USB 2.0 or burn to Blu-ray discs, (using DAR). Cheaper than a second NAS.

1. The drives would be in a case, though not much of one. And connected just long enough for a backup.
2. Correct, no smart tests or scrubs. Certainly no scheduled events.
3. Not that much work. I routinely backup my computers to an external drive. Perhaps monthly. More often if I make lots of changes.
4. Yes, eSATA is less reliable than SAS using external cables.

(P.S. Backing up my computers to an external hard drive is not my only backup... just a faster restore method.)

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
It's important to keep total cable length below 1m, otherwise you can expect it not to work reliably.

Arwen

MVP
Yes, 1 meter or less eSATA cable lengths are required. I prefer shorter.

Plus, I had problems with a low quality cable. So I now use only better quality
cables. (Not to mention, if an eSATA cable gives me trouble, I toss it.)

When I used a LSI SAS card, the external cable was .5 meters to eSATA
connectors. It worked great for both DVD-ROM drives and external hard
drives.

DaPlumber

Patron
Hypothetically, because mine is still under warranty: the MB mounting tray on the FNM has plenty of space for maybe up to eight eSATA ports. A little careful dremel work for the slots and drill holes for the screw mounts and you'd be done. The type of eSATA ports that mount on PCIe card plates would be ideal. Hypothetically. There's plenty of space inside the FNM for running more SATA cables without impeding airflow. Hypothetically. Obviously you'd have to unmount EVERYTHING and be careful to remove any rough edges and be VERY careful with this type of operation to ensure there's no metal splitters or dust before re-assembly.

Yes, as a general rule ANY external connection is more vulnerable than an internal one unless you're the type that runs with the case off. However I've been perfectly happy with decent quality TABBED LOCKING eSATA cables and I keep the total cable length to under .5m and that's plenty to run to a box adjacent to a FNM. Hypothetically. Because heat rises and you probably don't want to put the external enclosures on top. Hypothetically. My hypothetical use case is exactly the same as yours and backup copy of critical parts of the production pool taken with a zfs send|recv on the CLI, the backup pool formatted by FreeNAS, and detached (via GUI) when not in use. Hypothetically keeping an eye on the smartctl -x temps and etc. is a good practice.

Wow that's some hypothetical exercise. Hypothetically I might even have take pictures were I to do such a thing. ;)

eSATA only enclosures are almost impossible to find, but USB2.0/eSATA single disk enclosures are pretty cheap right now. I may have happened to have some already lying around for... reasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.